Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Inability to digest veggies?
Polarisld33 posted:
I've heard there are people who do not have the enzyme to break down vegetable fibers and I ave a growing concern I may be one of them. Where I primarily notice issues the most is when I eat lettuce. I enjoy salads, but every time I eat lettuce I get very loose stool and I can frequently see chewed-up-looking pieces of lettuce in it. To try to incorporate more veggies into my diet, I've been adding veggie purees to foods like mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, but the puree seems to pass right through me as well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel like this is normal and, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to afford to go in to see my doctor for a couple of months at least (and I'm hoping this problem won't require a prescription because I won't be able to afford it). If anyone has any information about this condition, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi PolarisId33,

I'd like to invite you to visit our Food and Cooking Community board with Elaine Magee RD as she has IBS and she may be able to shed some light on your digestive problems.

We have a number of related digestion health centers linked at the top of this board so please click on them including the Digestive Disorders Health Center .

- Annie

Helpful Tips

relief of hemorrhoids
had hemorrhoids for years,tried all the store remedies,nothing worked. when my boys were little we used diaper rash ointment on them(zinc ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website