Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Rotten Egg Burps Followed by Vomiting and Diarrhea
oo0rachel19830oo posted:
This has been happening for years now every month maybe twice a month. Now lately it's starting to happen more frequently (like right now yesterday and then last 2 weeks once a week) I have been actually suppressing it so I won't puke. Found out it wasnt my gallbladder so was wondering if anyone has an idea what it might be. It doesnt matter what i eat. This is so horrible I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. The burps taste soooo horrible then once I throw up and diarrhea my stomach is in SOOO much pain.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the Digestive Disorders Community and thanks for your question!

Dr Moser has a blog entry from about a year ago that explains that the rotten egg smell may be from hydrogen sulfide -- you can read more in this blog entry about intestinal gas in people and animals .

Other causes could include food allergy or bacterial infection such as Giardiasis. You should check with your doctor or find a recommended GI to have this checked out since it is happening so frequently.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing. I'm sure our community will be chiming in soon, too.

~Andie

teacherms responded:
I don't know if this will help you, but it has helped me. I now drink two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (mixed with a small amount of liquid) every morning. Someone else who suffers from this suggested this to me based on the belief that his stomach is not digesting his food and, after a period of time, this undigested food poisons the digestive system...a case of food poisoning. The only way to "cure" the food poison is through vomiting and diarrhea. Once these have occurred, the system balances out again....until more undigested food accumulates in the stomach and the process begins again. The thought behind the apple cider vinegar is that it aids the stomach in digesting food. It has worked WONDERFULLY for me, although I have only taken this for a short while. I hope this helps!

kahandace responded:
Hey rachel! I found this post and I know it was 2 years ago so I am REALLY hoping you see this. It sounds like I have the EXACT same thing as you. the egg burps just started today but once a month since January (it is now may) I've gotten diarrhea and thrown up for one day or less than a day! The last two times, I just threw up once and I was all better afterwards. Each month it's less intense. I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong and what to do? Please get back to me if you see this!!

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website