Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
diahhrea
confined posted:
I have severe diahhrea which keeps me confined to my home. I get no warning and cannot get to the bathroom most of the time. I am going through Depends like they were free, which they are not. I have been battling this for 10 years but in the last 3 years it has gotten progressively worse. First I was told I had a parasite..then I was told I had irratible bowel syndrome then I was told I had celiac's so I followed the gluten free program for over 2 years with no difference...then I was told, after another round of tests, that I did not have celiac's so they took me off of that diet and told me to avoid dairy..that has not helped either. I have had several colonoscopy procedures with no results, I am taking anti-diahhreal meds that are no help including cholestyramine 2 times a day.

My daughter thinks it is probably a combination of the medications I am on which include Buspirone, Diphenoxylate-Atropine, Citalopram, Carvedilol, Losartan, Acyclovir, Zolpidem, Plavix and Simvastin. I am not diabetic, have slightly elevated BP, my cholesterol level is not high and I have a pacemaker/defibrilator. However, I constantly have gas and diahhrea...if anyone out there has any ideas of something I can do to help I would be so grateful. I want to be able to go to town without fear of messing myself and having to turn around and come home or worse yet having it run down my legs which is has on many occasions. Help!!

everydayizagift responded:
Try the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii. This helped me greatly and also helped my aunt when she had constant diarrhea. Sometimes when we take medications and especially antibiotics, it will kill all our healthy gut bacteria and cause problems like....... the runs. It's not fun. You have to put healthy good bacteria back into your digestive system and it usually clears up. If you google the probiotic i stated above, you will find that it is specifically used for diarrhea. It helped me, give it a try. I think since you've tried so many prescription meds and you've gotten no results, it would be wise to try a probiotic to address whatever issue is going on in that gut of yours.

Good luck
Join my Community - That Girl's Support Lounge - Intestinal Disorders and Diseases

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website