what to eat w/large hiatal hernia? everything causes pain
starrybluu posted:
i would love some advice that anyone could pass on to me. i have a large hiatal hernia that is presumably the culprit, causing me horrible pain when i eat, just about anything. i am having an upper GI endoscopy later in the week. had one before that was supposedly ok, but a new doctor is going to try it again. this was in sept. last year that i had the scope, and the pain has progressively gotten worse. my biggest problem at the moment is that i am getting such horrible stomach aches. i've been taking prilosec since then, but my doctor that is doing the scope says i cannot take it till after the test. i guess i'm to have a Bravo monitor for two days, and you cannot take this kind of medication for a week before.

my goodness, i thought i had stomach aches before! since i stopped taking the prilosec, any food makes me ill. that had been the case when i was taking it as well, but i occasionally was able to get lucky and eat some lighter foods. last night i ate a small bowl of chicken noodle soup, and threw up three times. i still have a sore throat today. i'm not even hungry any more, but i crave food so bad, it makes me cry lol.

has anyone had a similar experience? have any suggestions what to eat?

good grief...i can't even eat chicken noodle soup. that's what you're supposed to eat when you're sick! i feel extremely sorry for myself lol...and i love food, so this is really miserable. today i had a small mcd's ice cream cone (was thinking liquid) and some saltines. now i have some really horrible heartburn going on.

bleh...ramblin' and belly achin'. in both sense of the words.

thanks so much!!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Starryblu.

Welcome to the Digestive Disorders Community and thanks for sharing your pain...and sadness! :(

Sorry to hear about the terrible time your having keeping food down. I hope we can help you find some resources.

Diet plays an important role in controlling the symptoms of hiatal hernia , namely heartburn and acid indigestion.When you have a hiatal hernia, it is easier for stomach acids to come up into the esophagus, and certain foods can make these symptoms worse.

Here's some Hiatal Hernia Diet Tips which shares which foods to avoid and ones to enjoy.

You can try some lifestyle changes to ease heartburn symptoms. I know you're not able to eat well, but be sure to refrain from eating large meals; instead, eat four or five small meals each day, and eat slowly. Reduce fat in your diet, and if you smoke, stop.

I hope you find some help in the articles I linked to. Please be sure to come back and let us know if things are improving or what your experience is so far. We all learn from each other. :)

~Andie