Skip to content
GI trouble
tdwise posted:
Have only 4 ft. small intestine, no gbladder, liver disease low platelets have hard time with diet cant gain weight need help
calgal37 responded:
Tdwise, with that limited amount of small intestine it could make it very difficult to absorb the amount of nutrients you need to gain weight. Have you talked to your doctor about the problem? Have any forms of IV supplementation been suggested?
tdwise replied to calgal37's response:
I am 28 months from my resection.Can't eat any fats and lots of other good things. Lost about 65 lbs. I really eat alot but nothing adds to my weight.Will be talking to a new GI doctor next week. Hope he has some insight for me. I am in a pickel tired of feeling so bad all the time. Thank for your opinion TD
littlemamam replied to tdwise's response:
I know it doesn't seem like much but adding an Ensure to your meals makes sure you get nutritional value. When I couldn't eat at the hospital I had a nurse who would come in and sit with me and watch me drink it. I'm a 29 year old female and I couldn't help thinking these are for old people! Now my 10 year old daughter steals one for breakfast everyday and there is a whole shelf of Powerade and Ensure in the fridge. On those days I just can't eat anything when I wake up starting with one of those helps my system calm down. The chocolate ones in the bottle are the best I really don't like the cans.
I had my colon taken out in June of 2008. Hope my experience helps you some.
Lizzie73 responded:
I had a friend who couldn't absorb nutrition. He required IV nutrition daily and also engaged in regular exercise to keep his weight up.
You should be under the care of a gastroenterologist, nutritionist and an exercise specialist.

He managed to have a life and friends.
One site that might be helpful to you is:
The people are very knowledgeable and helpful.


Helpful Tips

How I get rid of pain
I've had these type of pains for over 20 years. I used to get pains every day in high school and never knew why. I finally realized the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website