Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Can I "Re-develop" Lactose Intolerance?
An_201657 posted:
I was lactose intolerant until I was 4 (to cow milk). I still never fully trusted that milk was safe until I was nine. But now if I drink two glasses of milk, or milk with another mostly-dairy food, in one sitting, I get a stomachache and feel nauseas. Did my lactose intolerance come back, or is it just that I'm actually drinking milk now?

I don't want to be lactose intolerant, I love milk chocolate!

sheba_q responded:
I think you answered your question - if you didn't really drink milk, and now are and having trouble with it, then you've been lactose intolerant all along. It also becomes more common as people get older, whether they were lactose intolerant before or not.

The easiest thing to do about it is to switch to non-dairy 'milk' products for the most part, so that your levels are low enough that your body can handle it when you do have some. That way you're not really giving much up and can still give into temptation from time to time.

hoo4him responded:
At least you know you're lactose intolerant! I was in the dark until I was an adult! I think if you try eating/drinking small amounts at a time, you can teach your body to tolerate a little milk. My daughter's doctor concurs. In addition, you can drink lactose-free milk ("Lactase" or a store brand), whicht tastes pretty close to regular milk--maybe a tad sweeter--without fear of syptoms. There are also tablets you can buy at the drugstore that you can take 30 minutes before you eat things like ice cream or pizza that help break down the lactose in the milk products you want to enjoy.

How empty or full my stomach is also seems to make a difference. For example, I can drink a glass of milk with a meal without too much problem (maybe some gas), but if I drink the milk on an empty stomach? Bad news. Same with ice cream. And it seems to me that the higher the fat content, the worse my symptoms are. For example, even a small amount of real cream in my coffee will almost double me over. Keep an eye out for dried milk, too, which can be added to things like hot dogs.

Take it slowly, experiment, and you should find that you can enjoy milk--just in small doses!

hoo4him replied to hoo4him's response:
Sorry, that should be "Lactaid" milk--as the ad on my sidebar reminds me, lol!

Thehealthyapplenyc replied to hoo4him's response:
I learned I was lactose intolerant as a young child, but the past 4 years I have been enjoying Greek yogurt as it may be easier to digest (because of the way it's strained) for those who are lactose intolerant. However, as of December I have suffered from bacteria overgrowth, colitis, parasites and pathogens...even though I am healing I am now unable to eat dairy at all and can no longer eat Greek yogurt, therefore I am an example that yes, lactose can come and go in your life at many different times and under different circumstances. I hope this information was helpful! I write a gluten-free and dairy-free 'Clean Eating' blog at The Healthy Apple where I create dairy-free and gluten-free recipes. Enjoy!
The Healthy Apple
www.TheHealthyApple.com

barbarafromtucson responded:
There is Chocolate soymilk, chocolate rice mile and chocolate almond milk that you could try as alternatives. There is also "icecream" made with these products (as well as coconut milk). You would need to go to Trader Joes, Whole Foods Market, or other natural food markets to get the widest selection/variety of these products.

I miss milk chocolate too.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website