Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
stomach cramps after eating
chippi1 posted:
Hello, I'm new to this community. I am 45 yrs. of age. For the past month or so I have been experiencing bad stomach cramps approx. 10 minutes after I eat..they double me up at times. I have never had stomach problems before and cannot imagine what is going on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chipp1

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Chippi,,

Welcome to the Digestive Disorders community. Sorry to hear you're having such a time with stomach cramps.

If you haven't already seen your doctor, I would encourage you to do so. Any time symptoms last more than a week we should be calling our doctors to find out why.

Have you ever tried taking probiotics? Some studies show that probiotics can speed recovery from infectious diarrhea and ease ulcerative colitis symptoms.

Try our Symptom Checker and also think about startng a food diary to see if you have foods that might trigger your symptoms. Is it really everything you eat or does it just seem like it? This will tell you.

Let us know how you're doing!

~Andie

chippi1 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Andie, Thank you for the reply. I did see my doc about this and she suggested that it may be something called "dumping syndrome" which involves food being released all at once from the small intestine into the large intestine. I do usually eat only once a day..later in the day..and by that time am quite hungry and eat a large amount at times. She suggested taking OTC Prevacid..which I have not tried yet and also suggested eating earlier in the day and not going so long without a meal. Last night I had pasta w butter..clams and mushrooms and was doubled up on the couch within 15 minutes. I do have good refrigerated probiotics which I haven't taken in a while..I will begin with these again and see if they help..before taking the Prevacid..am on enough meds the way it is already. I have never been prone to stomach problems before...I do hope the doctor is correct and nothing more is going on. I will also begin a food diary..that is a good idea. Thank you again

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website