Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Passing blood in stool, is medical attention urgent?
asot1 posted:
I am 18 years of age, male, not overweight, I follow a high protein low carb diet and have suffered from mild constipation often before. For the last 5 days when I use the toilet I have (red/pink) blood on the toilet tissue and also often noticeable on the stool.

I ignored it until a few hours earlier when I got onto webmd to do some research, in my case I feel confident to rule out upper intestinal trauma because the blood is not black/tarry and sympton checker has also ignored this narrowing it to the following 4 options:
-Hemorrhoids
-Anal Fissure
-Colon Polyps
-Proctitis

Because of mild constipation I feel hemorrhoids or anal fissure could be a possibility.

I feel safe to rule out proctitis because I do not and have never had foreign objects placed in the area and have no related sexual infections.

Colon polyps are the final possibility. Given my age and health this is unlikely but of course it is possible and these could have very serious consequences.

I am a little uncomfortable with having a doctor examine my digestive tract especially if it can be avoided so my question is as follows:
-Is it ok to immediately begin taking a fiber supplement twice daily and see if the problem heals itself or should I visit a doctor urgently.

Take the Poll

Should I see a doctor urgently or wait another 3-5 days and try and resolve the issue with a fiber supplement first?
  • See doctor urgently.
  • Wait and try fiber supplement.
vote
View Poll Results

Christistheonlyway777 responded:
Sounds like a fissure may have started due to constipation. Not enough water, fruits and veggies. Are you drinking enough water? Drink lots of water, increase your fiber with fruits and vegetables, nuts and whole wheat. Also, I know this sounds uncomfortable, but have you felt for a hemhrroid? Personally, I would go see a Doctor. Not urgently but so they can assess the issue. Whether it is a fissure or a roid, you might be able to get help for it as soon as possible and have them healed. Fissures and roids can be symptoms of other issues. You can have both at the same time as well. Wait too long and they could get worse. You are still young. Get help now so you don't have to go through your life with a literal pain in the butt every day.

kjme11374 responded:
Get yourself to the doctor. Blood in stool could be many things, but its nothing to fool around with. Can you CALL your doctor?

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website