Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Right Hemi-colectomy
An_241371 posted:
Does this surgery in an adult always mean that the cecum, appendix and ileocecum valve are removed as a unit? Does removing the cecum effect digestion? Does this surgery allow faster or slower digestion, or not effect it at all? Is this surgery considered the same thing as an appendectomy?

Take the Poll

How common do you think a volvulus in an adult is?
  • very common
  • unusual
  • I've never heard of a volvulus.
  • I'm eating dinner and this topic grosses me out.
vote
View Poll Results

LotaHossain responded:
A volvulus is when a section of the intestine folds in and twists itself, prevented much, if not all, fecal materials from passing. It causes fecal materials to back up and may result in sepsis, necrosis of intestinal tissues, acidosis and other SEVERE consequences (i.e., death) if not treated promptly.

This condition is very RARELY seen in adults and is most common in infants and preemies. It is usually the result of some congenital disorder called Neonatal volvulus or congenital intestinal malrotation. Other types that occur are as follows:

Small intestine volvulus
Sigmoid volvulus
Cecum volvulus
Gastric volvulus

Regardless of cause, two main symptoms of volvulus are abdominal distension and vomiting due to the bowel obstruction and back-flow of materials and ischemia (loss of blood-flow) to the affected portion of intestine.

When occurring in adults, a volvulus most commonly occurs in middle-aged and elderly men. It may also be a complication in persons with a redundant colon and can also occur in individuals with Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy.

This condition is diagnosed via an abdominal x-ray and or an upper Gastrointestinal Series.

Treatment options typically are a sigmoidoscopy and untwisting of the affection portion or laparotomy.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website