Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Burning pain to left of navel; diverticulitis, hernia, IBS?
Scelerata posted:
I'm a 21-year-old female. I've been having a very unique, reoccurring abdominal pain for almost two years now. It's a sharp, burning pain just to the left, and just slightly below, my navel. It flares up intermittently, usually accompanying emotional stress or periods of relatively prolonged--though not necessary strenuous--physical activity. A few times it's appeared if I have to strain particularly hard to empty my bowels. It feels sort of like there's a balloon attached to my colon, full of acid. Putting pressure on the area partially relieves it; the more pressure, the more relief. Sitting down helps too, but doesn't entirely relieve the pain.

I went to the ER once last year after it felt like the 'balloon' had burst; they took X-rays, found nothing of note, and told me I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I went in for a second opinion several months later; the doctor palpitated my abdomen a bit, and also told me it was IBS. I, however, and extremely skeptical. The pain is extremely localized; almost pinpoint, and always in the exact same spot. The WebMD Symptom Checker suggested Diverticulitis; my theatre ensemble swears I have a hernia. I'm getting really worried about the pain; it's gotten to the point that it occurs almost every day. I really want to know what's happening to me before it gets worse, but I'd like to have some sort of lead before returning to a doctor again lest I be turned away again with a seemingly thoughtless diagnosis of IBS. Has anyone else had these symptoms, and received a confirmed diagnosis?

LotaHossain responded:
I'd like to help you but I have had similar experiences and have not been able to get any help. If you do find out what it is and are able to get a proper course of treatment, please do let me know so that I may be tested and hopefully, treated as well.

Scelerata replied to LotaHossain's response:
After doing a bit of research, the prospect of a Spigelian hernia stands out. Do you, or anyone else here, know anything about this particular form of hernia?

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website