Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Help Please Desperate
kmjp11026 posted:
im 29 yrs old female i have been in the hospital 3 times a week at a time in the last 7 months they told me i have microscopic colitis and diverticlitis hetal hernia and ibs which i think is a bunch of crap i have stomach pain that is paralyzing everyday all day long with chronic diarrhea about 6 times a day with little relief i have tried about 15 diff meds for the ibs and nothing all over the counter anti diarrhea meds do not work my stomach swells to look like i am 6 months prego i have gotten depprsion and more panic attacks since this has been going on it is effecting my life to the extreme cant be the mom or wife i need to be.... I would like to know which one of these is causing me so much pain... or could it be chrones????? i have had a upper gi scope gastric emptying test colonoscapy and baruim x-ray scan and this is what they are telling could they have missed something or been wrong????

srkRN responded:
Microscopic colitis can cause the symptoms you describe and it is believed a possible cause for this, could be taking NSAIDS (e.g. Ibuprofen (motrin, advil,etc)) for extended periods. It has also recently been shown the same (NSAID use) can increase risk for Crohn's disease in women. Microscopic colitis can last for several years and suddenly resolve. Was your diagnosis also Diverticulitis or Diverticulosis? Diverticulosis can cause mild crampjng. Assume antibiotic tx if Diverticulitis. Pepto Bismol tabs can help if dx w/Microscopic colitis. If that doesn't work sometimes physician can rx Entocort or other med. If IBS, sometimes diet change can help, e.g avoiding certain foods,lactose, esp. sorbitol ( known to cause IBS-like sxs) found in a lot of sugar free foods and candies, chewing gums. Assume they did biopsy for Celiac disease re: gluten in diet, when they did EGD( upper endoscopy).Celiac disease can cause bloating and diarrhea, cramping, depression/anxiety, fatigue, anemia, etc...

kmjp11026 replied to srkRN's response:
They did do a celic test said it was neg and it is diverticulosis all over the counter anit diarrhea meds do not work and i have also had 11 diff meds for my stomach but nothing is helping i have tried changing my diet i have even gone days without eating because of the pain and now my stomach has been painfully swollen for days im really tired i cant do anything anymore i dont not take nsaid and have not taken any for at least a year i just feel like i have tried everything and when i go to my local er they tell me it is ibs go home which i have over heard 2 local docs talking saying ibs is just there way of saying they can not find anything wrong thats worth looking into any further thanks you for your response

srkRN replied to kmjp11026's response:
I'm assuming they did stool cultures (c diff, ova &parasites, etc.) and they were negative. Re: microscopic colitis, did they give you a prescription for Entocort, Asacol or Pentasa? Microscopic colitis can last for several years sometimes.

kmjp11026 replied to srkRN's response:
no i have never tryed those meds and yes the stool were neg i think im at the point to were im going to go to a diff hospt to have then run all the test again im just trying to hang through it until after thanksgiving thank you for taking your time and listening to me it means alot

If all else fells, you could try Slippery elm caps/tabs supplement. It helps sooth throat, esophagus, stomach, and intestines. It has been used for sore throats, GERD, diarrhea, Crohn's, UC, Microscoic colitis etc. It's safe as far as adverse effects go. If you were taking any meds. you would want to make sure there weren't any interactions, such as delayed absorption. Hang in there and hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Meant to leave a helpful link for Slippery Elm: Univ. of Maryland Medical Center

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/slippery-elm-000274.htm

cjshipi replied to srkRN's response:
srkRN..Hello I was diagnosed with Microscopic colitis and Diverticulosis. I am one of the luckier ones because I don't have too many flareups. However here's some of my symptoms and wondering if anyone or you experience any similar. I start out feeling very tired for a couple days. I can get very achey all over, feeling nauseated and some looseness to the bowels. I have taken probiotics for a while then just quit because I ran out. Do the Probiotics really help keep you on track? How helpful do you think protein drinks would be? My Dr. prescribed Balsalazide 750mg. 3x day. He was not really able to answer many of my questions and sent me to a gastrologist who tested and diagnosed the Microscopic colitis. Told me to take 5-7 Pepto tablets a day and if the loosness didn't get better to call his office. OK How the heck does one find answers to daily living and diet. Is a journal and trying foods the way to find out what you can eat and can't? Get food tests 1st? Thanks, Been trying to figure this out for a year.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website