Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Vegetable matter or something else?
darkwizardmatoya posted:
Hello, all.
I suppose I should start at the beginning.

In around mid October I want to the bathroom and found in my stool two long things. They actually looked like leaf stems and were colored dark brown/black and white. I found them so disturbing that I went right to urgent care. The doctor said that they looked like some kind of vegetable mater and they were nothing to worry about. A couple times since then I have found similar things in my stool. They still look like leaf stems except that they are brown colored, the sane color as my stool actually, and are much smaller, maybe an inch or two. I have noticed that they fall apart in my hands very easily. After doing a little research online I found that they could be related to parasite called Nematoada. You can imagine that this upset me greatly. I've been able to put this worry aside for the most part. Still the brown colored leaf stem looking things have me a little concerned, they just seem kind of odd, and the person I read about online with the Nematoda had similar things in they're stool, though they also had little mucus balls, which I don't have. I've been told that it isn't uncommon to have vegetable matter in your stool. Is that all this is, just vegetable matter, or could it be a parasite or something else serious? Has anyone else had anything similar, and is it anything to worry about?

srkRN responded:
Nothing likely to worry about. Raw vegetables and foods like it are slower/more difficult to digest and sometimes go through the digestive system looking just that, undigested. If you had symptoms of weight loss, abdominal pains, diarrhea, for example, would be a concern something is going on in GI tract. It doesn't sound like you have any GI symptoms going on.

Sageda84 responded:
Hi.. Did you ever find out what was wrong? I found long red stem-like things in my 5 year old daughter's stool and I am freaking out.. Please help!

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website