Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Help, I'm constipated for the first time
Blgreer posted:
Hi I'm a 23 year old girl. Not much of a healthy eater(mac n chz,pizza,ice cream) so that's probably a factor here. I've not changed my diet recently but suddenly have extreme constipation. Been 5 days since I've had a bowel movement. I usually have them effortlessly upto 5 times a day. I've drink 2 cups of senna tea and takin 5 metamucil capsules since yesterday. The only change is today I passed 3 small parts of stool which took nearly 2 hours of sitting on the toilet. Was in so much pain that I could no longer try to have another bowel movement and have since given up all hope. The stool I passed didn't appear hard but was covered in a weird white mucus. Should I go to a doctor(I've no health insurance) or any other suggestions? Please help!

sheba_q responded:
It's pretty clear that your body is telling you it's not happy with what you're doing to it - it's been trying to deal and now has thrown in the towel. Like it or not the first thing you're going to have to do is change to a more balanced diet, including fruit & veg, and plenty of fluids.

You should consider taking fiber (Metamucil or another one) on a daily basis and not just in an emergency. Also you need to drink a lot of water when you increase your fiber intake. Senna is more of an emergency thing and not really encouraged to take on a regular basis (it's possible to become dependent on stimulant laxatives). Milk Of Magnesia is ok for daily use if needed.

The white mucus is normal. We all have it, but usually not enough to see it. It's there as a kind of lube to protect your intestines, so that the hard stool doesn't hurt you.

Helpful Tips

relief of hemorrhoids
had hemorrhoids for years,tried all the store remedies,nothing worked. when my boys were little we used diaper rash ointment on them(zinc ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website