Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Collagenous Colitis
cooker6920 posted:
I'm a 50 yr. old male, just diagnosed with collagenous colitis after colonoscopy. 4 polyps were removed also. Have symptoms of 3-4 loose bowel movements every day, always in the morning, some pain , gas and bloating. I've had this since my early 30's. Had my gall bladder removed Oct. 2010. GI doc. started cholestyramine, which gave me constipation and worse pain, then Welchol, which did the same thing. I decreased the dosage per day which helped but not enough. I now take 1 tablet/day which led me back to the original problem of diarrhia. It's now a choice of one extreme or the other. Doc said to try probiotics. Anyone have a history with this diagnosis and experience with the probiotics?

calgal37 responded:
Cooker, I do not have a history of collagenous colitis, but I would like to make a comment. Celiac disease is a somewhat common comorbidity in those diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I believe it many be found in about 20 percent or more persons. It is now being suggested that patients with MC be screened for CD. If found to have the problem, following a gluten-free diet can provide a lot of help.

If you do decide to check it out and use blood tests, please make sure you have your total IgA levels measured. If they're found to be low, and if you get a 'negative' result to the IgA-gliadin test, go further in checking things out. The 'negative' could be a false negative. If the IgA total levels are low (low end within the range that is considered 'normal') you might be unable to generate an IgA response - and the result would be inaccurate fooling both you and your doctor.

Probiotic are great even for those with supposedly 'healthy' bodies. Unless you're immunosuppressed or have pancreatitis, they're safe and can be helpful. There are many decent brands on the market. You might consider checking out Culturelle, PB8 or perhaps FloraQ among others. I've been using probiotics for about 8-9 years and wouldn't be without them.

cooker6920 replied to calgal37's response:
Thanks CalGal for your reply. I've had negative celiac results. Don't know how involved the tests were. My loose BMs are all in the morning after breakfast. Thought I may have lactose interance, but was tested for that also, along with trying no dairy diet. I've been taking acidophillis tabs for 4 days now and things are a little different. I also take Cholestra after having my gall bladder removed last year. Today I had almost normal BMs and felt better. Will see what tomorrow brings.

calgal37 replied to cooker6920's response:
Cooker, please check. It could be important to your health in the long run.

It's good to hear that you're having some success. I hope it continues.

Helpful Tips

Have you tried better toilet posture?
There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting the anorectal angle and making elimination easier ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website