Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Crohns and gallbladder relation?
dlbdecision posted:
Hello all! I am a 29 yo female, diagnosed with crohn's 2 years ago immediately resulting in a partial ilieocolectomy. I was previously thought to have celiac sprue, or gluten allergy so had been living my life on fresh fruits, veggies, etc since I was 19. This major life-changing and diet-changing experience has been hard, I am still trying to adjust but doing well. My personal motto is 'a salad is not worth a trip to the hospital'. I have started having pain under my sternum and tested to discover I have a lazy gallbladder. That sucker is coming out next week but I have heard many statements saying that gallbladder problems and crohns are related. There seems to be a difference of opinion from one person to the next on which causes the other issues, but I was hoping for some input. My GI briefly mentioned the possibility of the gallbladder misleading the crohns diagnoses. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions?

calgal37 responded:
If you check the literature you'll find they suggest a number of factors can influence the probability of experiencing gallbladder dysfunction. They include gene changes and defect in the transport proteins that are involved in biliary lipid secretion predisposing some individuals to gallstone disease. But many studies suggest immune and inflammatory mediators may play key roles. Both immmue and inflammatory factors are found and known to be slightly skewed in persons experiencing IBDs.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website