Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Bowel movements after gallbladder removal
Iamaroyalhobbit posted:
I am 21 years old and just had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago. After I had surgery, I felt great and was able to eat all the food they gave me when I was in the hospital (pie, baked potato, vegetables, etc). Now two weeks after having surgery, I've been having what I would call constipation. After I eat certain foods especially foods with any acid in it, I end up with yellow tinted stools and a sore bum. Today for instance, I've already had to go to the bathroom probably 5 times after eating macaroni and bean soup. But then other days, I won't have to go to the bathroom until hours after I've had something to eat.

My question is, will I have to deal with this the rest of my life? Why are some days worse then others for me? What can I do to help myself from constantly having upset stomachs?

calgal37 responded:
You may want to consider following a low fat diet overall and see if it's of help. Many people experience issues with bowel habits following GB surgery and it can come from the slightly 'unregulated' release of bile from the common bile duct. No one knows exactly why it can go somewhat haywire after this surgery in some people, but it does. A lot fat diet might be of help.

The yellow tinted stools are probably due to the bile 'fast-forwarding' the contents of your digestive tract, or due to the release of bile when you have little to no food in your system since bile is an 'intestinal irritant' in the latter case.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website