Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Racing Heart and Bowel Movements
An_244039 posted:
Hello,

I have had an issue which scares me. I will wake up with my heart racing and I will also have a dry mouth. My heart rate will usually slow down after I take a bowel movement. I have been tested for blood sugar and insulin resistance and the results have been normal. I have also had several endoscopy's which were normal. The only other thing to add is that it seems to happen when I have had a stressful day, or I have eaten extremely heavy carbs late in the day . If anyone has experienced these symptoms and can assist with determining possible causes it would be helpful. Thank you.

LauraLW responded:
Hi An, sorry you're not feeling well. You mention that you've had several endoscopys...were those only uppers? Have you ever had a colonoscopy? If you've never had a colonoscopy, you may think about asking a GI dr to do one for you. I've experienced somewhat similar symptoms when I have BM moving through a diseased part of the bowel--cold drenching sweat, feeling faint, heart beating hard. Symptoms pass after about ten minutes or so, and usually relieved with bowel movement. You also mention lab work, do you know if you've had lab drawn to test for inflammation in your body? Just some things to talk with your doctor about. I hope you find answers and get to feeling better soon!

4mutts replied to LauraLW's response:
I am having those issues. Started out on occasion and now more frequent. Sometimes extreme fatigue follows the BM. I have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, sonagrams of the middle, heart EKG, blood work. At wits end, as the heart racing continues for longer periods after BM. Doctor in ER, primary, endocronologist all never heard of the symptoms. Sure could uuse some insight, cause when the heart starts pumping its time to hit the restroom. I fear if I wait, I will pass out.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website