Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
GERD or just Indigestion?
v0latile posted:
Hi Everyone,
I'm a healthy 23 year old female with no previous history of acid reflux or any related GI problems.

Last Friday evening I consumed several alcoholic drinks over the course of 5 hours or so and probably not enough water. I did not get sick, however the next morning I experienced what I thought was heartburn. I didn't think anything of it and thought it was due to the drinking and would go away. The next day (and ever since then) I've been experiencing discomfort about an hour or so after eating, getting burpy and am able to taste the food I consumed before. Nothing actually comes up, no food or acid or anything, just burps that taste like food.
I also noticed that I have been producing a lot more saliva and feel like I am constantly swallowing. At first I thought my mouth was always watering meant that I was hungry, but it happens all day and does not stop.
This has been going on for about a week now. My diet is very healthy and normal, I occasionally eat sweets (chocolate) have coffee and eat spicy foods, but it has never caused problems in the past. I also don't drink frequently at all, do not smoke, and exercise regularly. Once I started experiencing the symptoms, I made a conscious effort to cut out spicy food, chocolate, etc but I still experience the same symptoms.

I have tried tums so far and pepto-bismol, neither which have stopped the burping or excess salivating.
I am wondering whether I am experiencing symptoms of GERD or Indigestion? Does this mean I have to drastically change my diet? If anyone has any recommendations or tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

salt77 responded:
you need a stomach doc, and sorry to say try to quit drinking alcohol or stay away from fruity drinks ect. Nexium is the maricle cure and i have been on it for yrs and my GERDS has turned into barretts esophagus so u need to get it under control now. Dont wait. I have to be scoped every 2 yrs and i am going for CT this week as now I am losing weight without trying. Thats why you should adhere to what I am saying. good luck keep me posted if u want.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website