Why do i keep losing weight, even though i'm eating normal?
An_244661 posted:
am 17 and in december i weighed about 118-120, now in march i weighted 106. it just keeps going down too.
in january i had a few panic attacks, but since them i have pretty much taken care of them. i am now on zoloft and am feeling better. for the last month i have been eating pretty normal. my appitete doesnt seem to be as big as it use to be.. but im trying to eat all of my normal foods. i eat a pretty normal 17 year old diet, try to eat as much fruits and vegs as i feel like. i neverrrr eat fast food
my doctor doesnt seemed scared about me loosing all this weight, but im scared. i also keep having craps in my lower abdominal.. i need to talk to my doctor about them. i had an ulta sound on my abdominal in january.. but everything came back clean. also had a lot of blood drawn and again everything was clean
i also think i might have ibs... my bowel movements are very abrupt and vary in firmness... i also need to talk to her about that. i take extra fiber to try and help me.

so what could be wrong with me?! i dont want to loose anymore weight, im afraid it could reallyyy hurt my body. any times would be great (:

Honeybee937 responded:
I would suggest that you have your thyroid checked, over-active (Hyper) thyroidism can cause weight loss even if you eat more than your usual amount. IBS can cause stomach pain and change your appetite/cause you to lose weight, my husband has experienced this from IBS.

Kerrberr30 responded:
You may want to keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat and drink for three days of normal eating. Then take a look at it to make sure you are getting enough calories a day and enough protein and fat. Yes, I said fat. We all need some fat in our diet in order to absorb and use some of the vitamins, these are the fat-soluable vitamins. Along with the fruits and vegetables you said you consume, you also need 2-3 servings of protein each day. Protein doesn't have to come from meat; other foods such as dairy products, eggs, grains, legumes, and various soy foods (e.g., tofu, tempeh, and seitan) also are an excellent source.
Keep talking to your doctor about your abdominal pains and bowel movements. It may help to keep a journal about this as well. Your weight loss IS concerning so keep track of it and call your doctors if you continue to lose weight.

woolds responded:
I lost a lot of weight around when I was 20-21. It turned out that I had Type 1 Diabetes. I don't know if you've had your glucose levels checked but you should ask for it just to be safe. It was actually my OBGYN that diagnosed me because I was having a lot of yeast infections which is a side effect of high blood sugar. Have you been really thirsty lately? Almost as if you can't get enough water no matter how much you drink? That's a dead giveaway.

Maybe that's not what it is but in general if you're losing weight and you're eating a healthy diet then it's likely that it's related to your body not breaking down or using the calories. For instance with diabetes you're not breaking down and using any of your carbs which usually account for most of your calories.

If you do find out what it is then let us know on here. I'm sure it would be helpful if anyone comes across this discussion looking for an answer themselves.