Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Heartburn - I want to live without medication. Help!
sleepbetter posted:
BackstoryFor the past 8 months I have been suffering from heartburn. I have tried to flip the pages in my life to see what potentially has caused this and I think it could have been triggered by traumatic time in my life.

Since then I haven't been able to rid myself of the heartburn. My PPC has prescribed me Zantac since the onset and has weened me down from 300mg pill / twice a day to now for the past 5 months 150mg pill / Twice a day.

Even further backstory... 8 years ago I had an colonoscopy and endoscopy due to blood in stool and mild heartburn ---- Cscope showed the blood was from hemorrhoids that have been banded and the Endo showed mild inflammation of the esophagus and the heartburn was secondary to anti-biotics. I went on Zantac for a month or two and the heartburn went away.

Currently
Having gotten over heartburn before I thought this would go away, but now after dealing with this issue now for almost 8 months I am now feeling that the Zantac is only a band-aid for a symptom and I want to get to the bottom of this by any means necessary.

Right now I have to take a Zantac in the morning because I generally wake up with a sour stomach that I know will lead to heartburn, and by the end of the day heartburn has crept up and I have to take Zantac before I go to bed.

I find certains food make the heartburn worst (tomatoes, vinegar), but so far it's been hard to figure out what is causing this because it's basically always there, no matter.

I tried just stopping the Zantac for 5 days (a few weeks ago) thinking well if I just stop taking these pills maybe it will just go away on it's own? Bad decision. I went back on the pills.

As of 3 weeks ago I have been completely dairy-free. I am trying this diet to see if it cures my heartburn issue and so far I am not really noticing a difference at all. Maybe a little? But not really, I still definitely have to take Zantac.

SO I've decided today, along with soliciting this community's advice I am going to try and go dairy-free AND gluten-free in hopes that as I eliminate things I can find a cause.

In addition to my diet I have started exercising. Running every other day - prior to I did zero exercising, so this is good no matter what.

I must also confess that my sleeping habit is very poor. I have trouble falling asleep and do not get 8 hrs of sleep everyday, maybe 6 hours at BEST. Which I know can contribute to stress/anxiety and ultimately acid reflux.

Stats
I am a 28 yo male, 148lbs, 5'8" tall - so I am at a good weight and am relatively healthy.

Plea
If anyone, anyone can please help give any sort of incite I would appreciate it - I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE PILLS for the rest of my life and live from episode to episode.

sleepbetter responded:
I did want to add that in addition to my heartburn I do have frequent belching!

sleepbetter responded:
Bumping this discussion... anyone have any insight?

capesailor responded:
I am a 71 year old male and had been on 40mg of Nexium twice a day until late last year. I tried everything to get of but could not. Then I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic (fasting glucose and A1C normal but 2 hour glucose tolerance test was abnormal) and put on a low glycemic diet. Within weeks I had no more gastric symptoms and within a month I was off Nexium. I fully expected a return but that has not happened.
My doc was not surprised which tells me that this is not unusual. The low glycemic diet was hard to get on but rewarding. Also off blood pressure meds. Sugar seems to be bad for me. I recommend to everyone who has gastric or BP issues to get the 2 hour glucose tolerance test.

1josephine responded:
I got esophagitis about 20 years ago after a minor surgery. After getting over that I found that eating any acid food, too much spicy or fatty foods were bad for me.

I had a bad episode again last year and did take Ranitidine for a couple of weeks but found that not drinking any coffee or tea other than decaffinated green tea which didn't bother me, eating small meals (like 6 times a day), wearing loose fitting clothes, raising the head of my bed up and taking Slippery Elm Lozenges really helped. The slippery elm really did seem to help alot. It did sooth my esophagis.

I don't take anything now except Gaviscon at night and only when I feel that I need it other times and I don't think that I even need it at night. I did take ranitidene when fasting for a test.
I don't bend or lay down for a couple of hours after I've had something to eat. That is really bad for me. I walk 40 minutes a day also.
I hope that this all helps. I don't like taking pills either. I don't sleep very well either but am retired so don't have too much stress. Good luck.

sleepbetter replied to capesailor's response:
I've not had a glucose tolerance test - my grandma is a diabetic which could mean I may be at risk. I will look into this.

sleepbetter responded:
After going to a holistic dietician / chiropractor she did some allergy tests. She found out that I am intolerant to mainly dairy, but also mildy to gluten. Tomatoes and garlic, and a few other various things.

Now after NO dairy, gluten, tomatoes, and garlic, whatsoever it's been 3 months since I've had heartburn AND it's been 3 months since I've taken any Zantac, Prilosec or any sort of drug.

I am SO happy that I no longer need to be on chemicals in order to live a normal life and so happy that I no longer have heartburn.

This new diet is strict and tough, eating out is VERY hard, BUT I am healthy now and do not have to worry about side effects or long term use of drugs, as well as any sort of heartburn.

I would encourage any one who reads this to go see a dietician / holistic chiropractor get blood tests to see if there are any allergies!

Helpful Tips

Have you tried better toilet posture?
There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting the anorectal angle and making elimination easier ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website