Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
I need help...
JenIngraham posted:
I have issues with constipation...Well the last time I went to the doctors was because of white stool which they couldnt figure out why I was having it except because I am always constipated. Well they also found out I was anemic and put me on Iron everyday for 2 months well I am one month down and have had severe constipation with black/green stool and now only in the mornings I am having bright red blood..not on the stool but dripping out when I pooped which is every 4 days. Today it was the worse and had stomach pain with it too I also feel sick but it might be a cold...any idea what it is? I dont wanna go back in if its nothing to be to worried about. HELP!

calgal37 responded:
White stools are typically caused by a problem with the release of bile from the common bile duct. Bile is released as a yellow-green substance and as it's 'digested' it turns the brown we normally associate with the color of the stool. Lack of bile, or a problem with it's release can cause white stools.

Iron is very constipating, so if you add iron consumption to a system that is already experiencing constipation, you could have a very, very uncomfortable problem.

If blood is being seen you've got to see the doc to find out what the cause is. It's possible it's due to the 'hardness' of the stool, but it's nothing to guess about.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website