Skip to content
Deployed soldier needs health advice
EricPatten posted:
I'm a soldier currently deployed to afghanistan. I'm in a remote area, and only have acess to filed medics for things like combat trauma and such. Just prior to deploying 7 months ago, about every third time I'd take a shi t, part of whatever is at the end of my digestive system would come out, about 2 centimeters, I would just push it back in with toilet paper. I told my doctor, and he just prescribed me stool softeners, and told me to eat more fiber and it'd go away.

So heres my problem, for the last month it wouldnt stay inside between visits to the porta-john, and causes alot of discomfort. And now, It wont stay in at all. it pops back out after about 10 minutes. I'm a little worried about things getting worse. I grew up on a farm, and I've seen what a full prolapse is, and I dont want that to happen to me.

So my question is, should I seek medical help immidiately? and will they likely advise me to be sent back to the states for surgery or gastrointestinal things to be done? I dont want to leave my brothers in arms over something that just causes discomfort, and I'm nervous to tell the army, because They'll send you home for wisdom teeth...


SGT Patten
calgal37 responded:
SGT Patten, it could be internal hemorrhoids that are protruding, or it could be a prolapsing rectum. There's no way of telling without the area being checked. Simple cases can be handled fairly easily - sometimes in 1 day outpatient surgery - and you could be back with your brothers in short order.

Helpful Tips

I have had CC for three years now. I have been on steroids and every time I got off, the problems would return again in two weeks...I found ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website