Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Air Bubble or more?
SEckenrode posted:
The first time this happened was a year ago. It woke me from a dead sleep and kept me up for 4 hours. I didn't take anything, just laid on a heating paid and tossed and turned until I passed out.

The last few weeks it's been happening every other day or so and is lasting many many hours even with pepto, gas-x, and aleve.

The issue: I get a big huge bubble right where my rib cage meets in the middle of my chest. The bubble just sits there and the pain spreads from that point around to my back. I feel like I need to belch or pass gas but I don't even when I try.

I've tried rotating what I eat, when I eat, how much I eat and that does nothing. Same with drinking fluids.

I'm going to see my Dr tuesday and am going to bring this up, but wondering if anyone else experiences this and has received a diagnosis? Thanks!

Melissa7897 responded:
Hi, I have experienced something like this for a while now, and as of late, it has gotten really bad. The pain I get is constant and stays right where the rib cage ends in the middle, like right below the sternum. Sometimes it radiates up both sides of my neck, and sometimes it just goes "through" to my back...I went to see my doc, and I am scheduled to have an abdominal ultrasound to check for gallstones, and they believe that I have reflux disease (GERD). I even get the feeling at times that my throat is "closing up," which is no fun at all. I have been put on Protonix for the GERD, and we'll see what the results are after my tests. Hope you have some answers by now and are feeling better. Hang in there!

SEckenrode replied to Melissa7897's response:
I did finally get answers. Of course I only got them after the pain got to the point that I couldn't ignore it.

Checked into the ER at 1 am. Around 10 am, they told me I had to have surgery to remove my gall-bladder. It was so inflamed and swollen it was irritating and decreasing the function of my liver.

It's been a few weeks nows, and although I have some residual pain at the incision sites. I'm doing much much better. I haven't had a bubble or that pain since the surgery. I couldn't be happier that it was caught before it exploded.

Gallstones was the main cause of pain for me, my gallbladder was full of them and had no space left to go. Please do get the ultrasound, that's how they found out what was wrong with me.

Best of luck and healthiest wishes!

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website