Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Abdominal pain
nwwater posted:
I had a hernia repair that was entrapped year and a half ago. After surgery I had what I know now was a kinked intestine which eventually broke open and resulted in a removal of 6" of small intestine. (This is after I had complained to my surgeon and the pain was diagnosed as gastritis and did no follow through testing). The part that I am concerned about is that when I arrived at the hospital emergency and my doctor showed up, he proceeded to operate with the diagnosis of a hole in my stomach even though I told him I have never had stomach problems, and had told him of the symptoms that clearly described a bowel obstruction! So the operation took 3 hours of him searching through intestines, scoping the stomach also before finding the perforation and repairing. I now have some bouts of abdominal pain (adhesions?) that seems to last for a few days then gets better. I went to my family doctor when this happened, and he did an xray without contrast that showed I was constipated. I have two questions:
Will I have a chronic pain from adhesions from the surgeon handling my intestines and taking a long time/drying out or do they typically keep them wet and practice care in handling?
Could the pain I feeling just be from constipation, even though it never caused pain before and would the adhesions cause constipation?

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful