Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
IBS associated with anxiety
JenGirl24 posted:
Hi, Im 24 yrs old and I have been suffering from anxiety for the last couple of years and within the last year i have noticed i have IBS. Anytime i have to leave the house, the anticipation makes me have diarrhea. its horrible. i cant work. my husband doesnt understand and makes fun of me about it. All i want to do is be able to work and go in public places! im worried all the time. i have panic attacks and anxiety attacks constantly. i can barely leave my house. i havent been to walmart in almost a year because of the fear of have an ibs episode. is their anything i can do? scared to go to the dr bc i dont want to have an ibs episode in front of all those people. thinking about going to the emergency room because its less crowded. i just cant handle this anymore!!!! its taken over my life. what im living is not a life at all!

Shelly2226 responded:
I feel your pain and you don't have to continue living like this. I suffer from IBS and just frequently saw a gastro and a alternative wellness doctor/nutrientionist. I've had my share of accidents at work and in my car. I have to say nerves do impact the tummy. My problem is I don't know what I'm eating that triggers me to go. My husband doesn't make fun of me but does feel bad for me. I don't go out to eat with my friends and I eat very little when I do because I'm afraid of having an IBS attack. My new Gastro prescribed me with a new medication which has been working for me. I would advise seeing a Gastro as the emergency room will just give u pepcid Ac and call it day. You need to have test done in order to get the bottom of your problem. Anxiety will cause a bowel movement. The medication I'm on now is Dicyclomine generic for Bentyl. I feel your pain trust me I've been through it all. Everyone knows about my tummy issues but having anxiety will cause you to have accidents. My advice is to see a doctor for the anixety and a gastro for the tummy problems. Trust me you will get better. I was so depressed over my tummy but remaining positive and understanding that half the world has IBS and we are not the only one's dealing with this. I wish you best of luck and please go see the doctor's. Aniexty and panic attacks are not good for your nervouse system.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website