Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gall Bladder Dysfuntion - Surgery or No Surgery
smcewin03 posted:
I recently underwent an abdominal sonogram of my gall bladder and it was fine. The Dr. ordered a Hida Scan. It shows an ejection fraction of 12%. The surgeon of course suggests surgery, but I have read so many pros and cons. Not having much pain, no gall stones, no inflammation. Some strange pain in lower abdomen. No other real symptoms like many others are experiencing. Anyone going through something similar?

ramjamfan responded:
hear ya,
I'm 28 year old male and I too have to get a hida scan tomorrow. after 2 and a half years of constant stomach pains,bloating,nausea,indegestion and driving myself and everyone around me nuts my doctor finally is starting to take me and my symptoms seriously. i intially sought medical attention for my stomach issues but then after a colonoscopy and a specific blood test i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. ive been on medicine for that for 2 years and knock on wood i havent had any problems with that, but still today i deal with these crazy stomach issues. I have tried to educate myself so much on everything there is about the digestive system but there is SOOO much to know.
To get to your question, My doctor finally listened to me and looked over an emergency room visit test results thing and he now suspects that my gallbladder might be the culprit. On my visit the CAT scan I recieved said that my GB was slightly enlarged with thin walls??????????
So know im kinda in your shoes and I really cant tell you. On everything that ive researched Ive found that sometimes it is helpful to get the surgery but sometimes its not. Either way adjustments need to be made in your everyday life. My advice would be to see how would leaving your GB will effect you down the road. because I'll tell ya if you end up feeling like i do i'd say yank that bad boy right out of you. Best of luck to you and keep in touch if you need to.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website