Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Diverticulitis
dtownsley posted:
I was diagnosed last Monday, July 16th with diverticulitis & given antibiotics. Was told to cut back on my fiber intake to allow the colon to heal. That has not been an easy task as I made a lifestyle change about 2 months ago & have been eating healthy. High fiber, whole grains, fresh fruits & veggies. Now cutting back on fiber with out is being high in sugar is hard to fine. Now my question is, though the pain has subsided for the most part I have has nothing but diarrhea since Saturday the 14th. Anything I eat or drink just goes through me. My understanding was by cutting back on the fiber it give the colon time to rest, but is it not still working with diarrhea as well? Is this normal? I have been on the antibiotic for seven days now. Can I start reintroducing fiber to my system? Thank you for your time.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome,

Make sure you call your doctor and discuss your symptoms and your concerns. The antibiotic could be the cause of your diarrhea, but please follow up with the doctor as I am not a health care professional.
I hope you feel better soon.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website