Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gall Bladder Polyps
cleo_39 posted:
Hi, im wondering if anyone can help with a matter that im having trouble making a decision about.
I have been told i have 2 polyps in my gall bladder along with numerous small particles which they are unsure if they are gall stones or more polyps, which they found through ultrasound. 1 polyp is 0.5cm and the other is 0.7cm. I am a 39 year old female in reasonable health and average weight. I am having slight aching feeling on my right side but nothing i cannot cope with.
A private consultant told me i can have the gall bladder removed to take away the risk of the polyps turning cancerous, however my concern is 1. Do i risk the surgery if it isnt necessary and 2. If i don't have it done am i risking cancer?
Any help with this matter would be very much appreciated because it is consuming my world right now.
Many thanks in advance.

littlestonf responded:
hello - I'm a 29 y/o female - decent health myself, most of the time! I had my gall bladder out 3 years ago...after years of stomach problems, they finally checked the gall bladder and it was full of stones. It was a relief to know there was actually something wrong with me, but tough, bc I was also told I could hold off on surgery if I wanted to...luckily, I found a gastro who basically told me it had to go to avoid infection and/or blockages. While my surgery brought great relief, I don't think you are having too many issues dealing with yours...but, that being said, I would say take it out. It's not needed, and the surgery is very simple, minimally invasive 3-4 tiny scars, and you typically go home same day. Only in some extreme cases do they end up having to go in the old fashioned way which results in a hospital stay. For the most part, you are up and running again after a week. I did have issues after my surgery with bile dumping after I ate, but it eventually went away, and they have meds to help if you do have that problem - not everyone will. It really won't be too terrifying, and I think the results will be worth it, especially if there is a risk of cancer. In my opinion, it's never worth the possibility of dealing with cancer later on. (I have also had a cancer scare recently myself.) You got a lot of life to live still, and this surgery will help alleviate the what-ifs. Sometimes it's those surgeries that end up saving our lives. My cancer was found after exploratory surgery for endometriosis...and it was so uncommon and in such a weird spot, that even my gyno was shocked...and had I not had the surgery, it probably wouldn't have been found until it had a chance to fully develop (it was late stage pre-cancerous cells) and spread, rapidly...that surgery saved me a lot of heartache down the line.
So, it may not be very accomodating to think about going through the surgery, but it may turn out to be worthwhile. I hope that you are able to make your decision and take the burden of the decision off your shoulders. And as far as surgeries go, it should be relatively quick and somewhat painless...I hope.

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website