Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
HOW SOON SHOULD I EXPECT RELIEF FROM LPR BEING ON MEDICATION? NEWLY DIAGNOSED.
eviep11 posted:
Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found this community. I feel like I'm going through this alone. In may I came down with what I thought was a cold or allergies...was put on antibiotics three times..cough syrup...inhalers and even a nebulizer treatment. I took antihistames and the cough seemed to die down, but I'm still dealing with it and here we are almost August and i'm still not better. since I began the "throat clearing" after I ate before the "cold or allergy symptom" I began to research and found information about LPR and since I had been diagnosed with Gastritus back in March after an endoscopy i began taking Protonix (one a day) with no results. I went to see an ENT a week ago and I really like him. He took a look down my throat and said my esophagus was inflamed and swollen confirming his suspicions of LPR. He put me on a treatment of Nexium twice a day and a 300mg zantac at night. and advised that I change my diet drastically to an Acid Reflux diet. My insurance won't pay for 2 nexiums a day so they are just covering one and the other i'm paying cash ;( . Very expensive. anyawy I've been following this regimen religiously for a week now and I'm still feeling the same. Some days are better than others. My main complaint is the mucus at the back of my throat (constant lump)...and the cough . the cough does not wake me at night or anything it's just all during the day. I've learned to supress it as much as I can, but the "feeling" or urge to cough is pretty much always there. The ENT said this is a long process, and that I should see results in THREE months!! I was wondering how long it took anyone out there after starting this regimen to at least start noticing a difference..I'm feeling very frustrated and sad. thank you for any information.

vasp4 responded:
have some thing similiar to your ailment. severe cough and cold inapril and still have a dry cough every now and then. i also have reflux but sleep ok at night as i use a cpap machine for sleep apnea. i am now doing a bravo capsule ph monitoring for 48 hours. am on nexium and motillium. i have also seen a pulmonar y dr who has found nothing wrong wit my lungs but has asked me to see an ent and do an ultra sound of my throat.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website