Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Any fresh ideas?
An_247043 posted:
I am really hoping that someone on this site has the same symptoms or something similar. Ever since I was little I've had problems with irregular BM's. I can go days or even weeks (2 1/2 weeks was the most) with out one. When this happens I don't feel constipated, just "full." My appetite just seems to disappear. However, when I finally have the urge to go, it is very sudden and a very urgent feeling. I then have hard to pass stool, severe stomach cramping, nausea, dizziness, hot and cold flashes with sweating, followed by diarrhea. I usually spend at least 30 mins in the bathroom at a time, but I have had instances where I've spent over 3 hours with these symptoms. As soon as I have a BM, I feel like nothing has ever happened.
I am a 23 year old female in good health and I really watch what I eat. I've been to many doctors and they have not done any tests, just simply diagnosed me with IBS. I've taken different types of prescription and OTC meeds, and changed my diet several times.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I have two small children and a husband who is in the Army and gone a lot. It's hard to go places because I never know when I will have an "attack." Hopefully your input will help me figure out what to talk to the Dr. about this go around.
Thanks in advance.

littlestonf responded:
hello,

I'm a 29 y/o female and have had the exact same symptoms, which started when I got to college. I spent about 6 years or so, in and out of ER's, constantly worrying, having every test known to man, and was also diagnosed with IBS. I know how dibilitating it can be to your lifestyle..my husband just LOVES going places with me, only for me to end up in the bathroom for an hour (if not longer)!! and you really have no control over when and where you get an "attack". I had times where I was sick for days, not eating, in so much pain I could barely move.

However, in 2009, I had an attack that was so painful, and lasted about 2 1/2 days, that I broke down and went back to the ER. (After the many visits in the past, I pretty much know what they will tell me, and it's just NOT worth the money and time and hassle, so I avoided them and docs...no one could fix me) or so I thought...my trip to the ER with a friend that evening seemed standrad, but my friend asked the doc if gallstones could be the issue (she had her gallbladder removed a few years prior)..they were hesitant, but when I mentioned my mother and aunts' histories of gallbladder removal, they decided to run an ultrasound on it...low and behold, it was so full of gall stones, it was about to burst. PACKED!!! Luckily, it wasn't infected, so no emergency surgery, but a week later, it came out at the behest of the ER docs and my gastro.
Since then, I have had a HUGE downturn in IBS symptoms, flare ups, etc. In fact, it's become a much more "routine" event now. While I'm not cured of IBS, I can definitely gauge my BMs and my symptoms, and I'm almost on a routine of sorts...I still have IBS, and I still have really bad days, but I'd say about 90% of the pain, symptoms, side effects, etc are gone, or are manageable. I no longer get woken up at night in pain - before surgery it was a weekly thing - I no longer spend hours in the bathroom...don't get me wrong, I still spend time in there, but I'm no longer in pain for hours on end.
I'm NOT saying to go get your gall bladder checked, nor would I insiunate that it is the problem, but this is my story, and I couldn't help but feel for you, b/c your story is my story in a nutshell. I am not healed, I still take meds for IBS, and post surgery was hell for me...(bile dumping - nuff said). I wish I could make it all go away, but I will take this over my past any day...hopefully they are able to find something that relieves the pain and stress...and BTW - I'm 5'2 and 100lbs, and no babies - so I didn't fit the "typical patient mold" for gall stones (the four Fs)...that's why it took soo many years for someone to even look at it...thank god for my friend and that ER doc...

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website