Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
What could this be?
An_247425 posted:
I'm a 23-year-old woman. I'm a healthy weight and I regularly exercise. I'm a competitive horseback rider and have a somewhat physical job. I've also been a vegetarian for 7 years. My diet consists primarily of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, as well as some soy, and mycoprotein. I will eat eggs and dairy on occasion too. I have endometriosis, but that's my only other known medical condition.

I have been on and off sick since I was maybe 13. I get frequent diarrhea, nausea, and bloating. Every morning (or even after a long nap) I feel extremely bloated and nauseous. If I eat breakfast I get diarrhea. If I don't eat anything for breakfast, the feeling usually passes after I've been up for a few hours (but not always). This will also occur at random throughout the day on some days and it doesn't seem to matter what I ate or even if I ate recently. This began before the transition to a vegetarian diet and the change in diet has not affected how I feel. I've been to the doctor for this a few times and have had reflux/excess acid production, parasites and bacterial infections ruled out. My doctor just told me that I have "irritable bowel", which she admitted is a catch-all term for a digestive problem that can't be diagnosed. Though she did say that irritable bowel should be controlled by avoiding foods that make the problem worse. However, it doesn't appear to be food that makes the problem worse for me. It's sleep. I feel like this most after waking up. It's like an epic 10-year morning sickness, and sometimes it gets bad enough that it affects my life. I missed work today because on the way to work I started to feel extremely ill. I turned my car around and came home, then proceeded to lock myself in the bathroom until afternoon. This can't continue! Does anyone have any ideas about what my problem is or how to control it?

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website