Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Exercise question for Reflux/IBS Sufferers
Tyrional posted:
Hi all,
30 year old male here. I'm a sufferer of GERD and IBS and lately, I've been in some dire need of exercise. I would often exacerbate my IBS and GERD issues when working out, so I let myself get pretty out of shape. This is no good and it has started to affect my health in other ways. So, I'm trying to get back in the swing of exercising, but keeping to low impact things that won't aggravate my digestive issues (hopefully). I've taken up walking regularly, but I live in an area where the outdoors becomes way too cold and inhospitable for my tastes in the winter. I'm thinking about purchasing an elliptical for winter use. My wife feels they are lower impact than something like a treadmill and prefers them. Biking is not very good for me because of prostate issues.
I'm curious if any Reflux/IBS sufferers out here have advice on exercise options (i.e. equipment and types of exercise) that don't bother your issues.
Thanks!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Tyrional,

I think the best thing for you to do is to talk to your doctor to be sure about any exercise you want to do. Make sure you get his/her approval on any exercise you want to do.
You may also ask this question on our Fitness & Exercise Community. But ultimately follow up with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website