Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Exercise question for Reflux/IBS Sufferers
    Tyrional posted:
    Hi all,
    30 year old male here. I'm a sufferer of GERD and IBS and lately, I've been in some dire need of exercise. I would often exacerbate my IBS and GERD issues when working out, so I let myself get pretty out of shape. This is no good and it has started to affect my health in other ways. So, I'm trying to get back in the swing of exercising, but keeping to low impact things that won't aggravate my digestive issues (hopefully). I've taken up walking regularly, but I live in an area where the outdoors becomes way too cold and inhospitable for my tastes in the winter. I'm thinking about purchasing an elliptical for winter use. My wife feels they are lower impact than something like a treadmill and prefers them. Biking is not very good for me because of prostate issues.
    I'm curious if any Reflux/IBS sufferers out here have advice on exercise options (i.e. equipment and types of exercise) that don't bother your issues.
    Thanks!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Tyrional,

I think the best thing for you to do is to talk to your doctor to be sure about any exercise you want to do. Make sure you get his/her approval on any exercise you want to do.
    You may also ask this question on our Fitness & Exercise Community. But ultimately follow up with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
    Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    70 of 128 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website