Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gerd/Gastritis and Esophagitis
wishiwasfishing posted:
I am a 33 year old male having numerous problems. On 8/22 I went the the ER for tightness in my chest and mild chest pains. So the ER started checking my heart. I had labs,EKG,Echo and a chest X-ray. All came back normal. During this experience I had an extremely bad panic attack. I thought I was dying! The ER doctor told me it was probably my stomach because of a similar episode I had 2 years ago. At that time I was diagnosed with Gerd. This time was much worse. 1 week later I underwent an EGD, ultrasound of the gallbladder and CT of the chest. The EGD showed Gastritis and Esophagitis. The Dr said my Stomach and esopagus was severly inflamed. He did take some samples and all came back negitive. The ultrasound did show a small pollup on my gallbladder but my dr said it wasn't anything to worry about. Everything else was normal. I have been on Nexium, Carafate, and now trying Protonix. I have been on the protonix for 4 days and have seen some improvment. But I am still having this heaviness/chest discomfort that comes and goes. My dr assures me that this is comming from my digestive issues and it will take a while to get better. I usually am a pretty active person but the past few weeks I don't feel like doing anything. My mind is racing with terrible thoughts of what if they missed something, the what if's are making me very nervous. I am wondering if all this has triggered panic attacks? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome Wishiwasfishing!

Have you considered a second opinion? Sounds like you need to follow up with another doctor just to make sure you are getting the right care.

I'm glad you are feeling a little bit better while on the protonix, I am not a professional, but you may have to give it a few weeks for it to help you feel better.

Follow up with another doctor, you'll feel better if everyone is on the same page about your health.

Please let us know how you are doing.

sunild1204 responded:
I guess I went through same situation. My advice would be to NOT go into Panic mode at all. These panic attack would work negatively on your stomach and may result in aggravating regular GERD/Acidity INTO more severe form i.e. HyperAcidity.
I would advice you to be on light diet for the time being, till the issue has subsided.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website