Skip to content
Lactose intolerance or something else?
An_248138 posted:
A couple of years ago I discovered I was lactose intolerant, but my sensitivity changes so much that I wonder if it's not something else. My mom wants thinks I should see a gastroenterologist, but I'm not sure if it's that serious.

My sensitivity to dairy changes frequently. Sometimes I can eat certain foods with no symptoms, other times I can't even eat them when taking lactase pills. This can change as often as from month to month.

My symptoms have changed, too. When I first started getting them, I would just get a stomach ache a few minutes after drinking milk. Later I started getting cramps after eating most dairy foods. It would happen gradually hours after I ate. The pain would be pretty bad, but it would only last for a few minutes. It would also be hard to breathe during these cramps; I don't know if that's unusual or not. They started lasting longer, and now, although the pain isn't as bad and breathing is no longer an issue, they last for hours.

I don't know if this kind of change is normal or not, or if it justifies a visit to the doctor.
calgal37 responded:
It's possible the problem with the dairy could be an intolerance to the protein moiety in the dairy - casein - and not a problem with the milk sugar, lactose. Many people initially think it's a lactose issue only to find out later than casein is the real problem. And they are two very different issues.

With the lactose, it's a problem with lacking a specific enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar.

With the casein, the problem is a person produces antibodies to the protein so it's an autoimmune problem.

You may want to ask your general physician to run a blood test looking for IgG/IgA reactions to casein.

Helpful Tips

How I get rid of pain
I've had these type of pains for over 20 years. I used to get pains every day in high school and never knew why. I finally realized the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website