Lactose intolerance or something else?
An_248138 posted:
A couple of years ago I discovered I was lactose intolerant, but my sensitivity changes so much that I wonder if it's not something else. My mom wants thinks I should see a gastroenterologist, but I'm not sure if it's that serious.

My sensitivity to dairy changes frequently. Sometimes I can eat certain foods with no symptoms, other times I can't even eat them when taking lactase pills. This can change as often as from month to month.

My symptoms have changed, too. When I first started getting them, I would just get a stomach ache a few minutes after drinking milk. Later I started getting cramps after eating most dairy foods. It would happen gradually hours after I ate. The pain would be pretty bad, but it would only last for a few minutes. It would also be hard to breathe during these cramps; I don't know if that's unusual or not. They started lasting longer, and now, although the pain isn't as bad and breathing is no longer an issue, they last for hours.

I don't know if this kind of change is normal or not, or if it justifies a visit to the doctor.

calgal37 responded:
It's possible the problem with the dairy could be an intolerance to the protein moiety in the dairy - casein - and not a problem with the milk sugar, lactose. Many people initially think it's a lactose issue only to find out later than casein is the real problem. And they are two very different issues.

With the lactose, it's a problem with lacking a specific enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar.

With the casein, the problem is a person produces antibodies to the protein so it's an autoimmune problem.

You may want to ask your general physician to run a blood test looking for IgG/IgA reactions to casein.