Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Eating, Vomiting, Lightheadedness
Anon_26911 posted:
Hi,

For a couple of months now, I've been having problems with my stomach and/or food. Whenever I eat or drink, regardless of the components, preparation method, solid or liquid, or quantity, I immediately feel lightheaded and dizzy. That's quickly followed by nausea and sometimes, vomiting. Further, it feels like the food doesn't "go down", as it were. It feels like it gets stuck somewhere between my throat and my stomach, and sometimes I feel like it's even still partly in my throat. I've begun insistently belching, when before I could only recall doing it once in a blue moon. I have suffered from a touch of acid reflux for years, but this is a markedly different experience from what I'm accustomed to in association with that condition.

It interferes with my sleep. I wake up several times a night feeling the urge to vomit. Usually nothing happens. When it does, it's pretty draining. I don't eat especially late — usually no later than 8, and I'm rarely in bed before 10. Because it feels like I'm not consuming properly, I'm always ravenous, yet I'm losing weight to the tune of 12 pounds in the last month (I started at about 290). On occasion and completely against logic, a normal-sized meal (say a fillet of fish, side salad, and a serving of rice) will hit me like a ton of bricks and I'll be bursting at the seams.

If I don't eat with about every three to four hours ago, I start to lose energy, feel a bit lightheaded or disconnected, and my mood starts to shift from motivated to — blah. I also experience low-grade nausea nearly round the clock. My diet typically consists of tea, water, fish, chicken, tofu, veggies, fruit, rice and other grains, and soy milk. I'm not really into sweets, fried or fatty foods, and sugary drinks. I don't use much in the way of intense seasonings, usually Mrs Dash or an Asian product here and there. I don't drink, smoke, and I'm not on any medications.

If possible, I'd like to hear thoughts on this while I scrape together the money to see a doctor (no insurance), so that I don't go only to find out it was something minor I could've fixed on my own and I have an idea of what I should pay attention to beforehand and report when I go. Just to rule it out, I'm definitely NOT pregnant.

Thanks

calgal37 responded:
Anon, does any one else in your family have any history of GI issues or possibly food intolerance issues? You description of what is going on sounds a bit like it could be any one of a number of things, from delayed gastric emptying, to possibly some acid reflux issues, but it's also possible the symptoms could reflect a food intolerance which seems to be being seen more and more often these days. Have you considered trying trying an elimination diet, possibly taking out all gluten (wheat, rye and barley) from your diet for a couple of weeks to see what happens? If you're having any other symptoms that might include fatigue, brain-fog, rashes - even slight ones, inability to lose weight (normally), very 'tight' body tissues, constipation or diarrhea, or if anyone in your family has been diagnosed with either celiac disease or gluten sensitivity it might be a good 'experiment.'

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website