Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
No symptoms at night; start immediately upon waking up
IL60477 posted:
My IBS is symptom free at night. I am not awakened by pain or diarrhea, but as soon as I awaken and begin stressing about work or whatever the day may hold, things really flare-up. I'm pretty functional during the day, mostly controlled by Bentyl. Stress is far and away the most frequent trigger for my flare-ups. I've been on a stress roller coaster at work for almost a year, and I'm miserable. I can't even relax on vacation, so my time away from work is pretty much dominated by pain and diarrhea. No way to live. If you can relate, please feel free to offer ideas about what has worked for you.

SForan responded:
Hey there. I know just what you mean about those flare ups. Something that has worked for me is a therapeutic tool that I learned about that I have come back to many times. It is called a 'mind-map'. You take different aspects of your daily life and expand those like a tree from yourself. These can be anything like home, finances, work, etc. Then take different aspects from each of those and what stress you receive from them. The trick to this is to realize what things you can control and things you can not. Things you can control you fix, things you can not, you find ways to deal with them. Exercise helps quite a bit as well. If you can wake up and do even a 10 minute walk or jog you will feel so much better. This is not only good for your health but will release endorphins and set the tone for your day. Lastly I'd suggest eating a healthy breakfast. When eating breakfast take a fiber supplement and either SamE or St Johns Wort. The fiber will help with being either constipated or having diareah and the SamE or St Johns Wort will help with the stress. I'm sorry I know how much you have to be suffering as I am in the boat with you. I'd be happy to discuss this more or exchange some more ideas if you'd like to email me.

clipper1956 responded:
When I was in my 40's it was like that for me too. You didn't specify your age. I think hormones have a lot to do with it because when I entered my 50's a lot of the diarrhea stopped and now my IBS isn't as bad. I have some flare-ups but they aren't as bad and I also drink 5oz of red wine in the evening no later than 7pm and it seems to help keep me normal and it even helps my night wakes to have to go urinate also.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website