Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
constant constipation even when he should have diareah
tigerpaw posted:

my 6m/o has had constipation with gas since he wasa a couple months old.

@2 m/o he had been constipated for about a week, so I took him to the ER, they gave him a supository and sent him home. The constipation continued, after another week and his refusal to eat, I took him to urgent care, there they gave him an IV for dehydration and another supository adn sent him to the hospital where he was hospitalized for over a week. The doctor on the pediatric level ran metabolic tests. While there he had troubles regulating body temp, and the nurse and doctor bothd heard a heart murmer. The doctor ordered xrays and ultrasounds of his abdomen, mri's brain for temperature problem, and an echocardiogram for the heart murmer where they pointed it out ot me. The doctor switched him off of breast milk, and onto Enfamil Gentleease. The constipation continued, I was told try water, pedialite, juice and nothing worked. around 5 months old the pediatritian switched him from Gentlease to Similac Alementum, when the constipation continued the pediatritain added Miralax, first 1 tsp per 8 ounces of water twice a day, then when that didnt help, he increased it to 2 tsp twice a day. He was in the ER one more time since then, a few days ago his stomache was swollen and hard and he was screaming in pain. The ER ran xrays and an ultrasound. The results were, his stomache was empty, along with his intestines and colon. The best they could say was he was constipated with gas. After puting a rectal thermometer up his butt the gas was released and his stomach was softer.

I am looking for opinions i can take to the pediatritian at my sons follow up.

jabbney responded:
try giving a TINY bit of the gerber apple juice, you can get it by the baby formula and supplies in walmart its safe and it will for sure work for the constapation. I would use 3 tablespoons to an ounce of water and that will work 100% he might feel full and constapated and not want to eat.

tigerpaw replied to jabbney's response:
he is on an apple juice regiment already and the olny time it helps is when that's all he's had and the miralax has been added to it.

" I was told try water, pedialite, juice and nothing worked. around 5 months old the pediatritian switched him from Gentlease to Similac Alementum..."

tigerpaw responded:
but thank you for the advice jabbney

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website