Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Liver Transplant
abarrett611 posted:
My mother is currently on the list for a liver transplant, and these past 7 months have not been pretty and I can only expect more and more hospital visits. She has almost lost all of her muscles due to muscle wasting and her body is now so thin that her skins tears very easily. I have been trying so hard to find a way to get her strength back so if she can get a transplant, she will be bale to sustain the surgery. If anyone knows of anyways to get her strength back and some more meat on her bones please help me! Her ascites make her stomach so large and bloated that her appetite is very small and also has been inhibiting her from moving about as she normally would. Again, please help me and most importantly my mother!

sweetNsour responded:
Hi abarrett611,

Have you tried to encourage her to try drinking at least 2 ensures each day to get some of her daily vitamins and if she is still eating try to get her to eat as much protein as possible! Protein is important so is hydration. Im sure a lot of the hospital visits are to rehydrate her by IV. I am a liver transplant patient transplanted 5/10/2004 and YOU MUST continue to make her fight! It's a long hard journey and if you fight with everything you have and not give up for a second! She will make it through this just like any down time we go through! Absolutely no giving up, just fighting and praying today's the day the call will come from the hospital with her organ! I'n not sure what state you live in but I take a medication even now called Reglan to help fight my nausea so I can eat another thing to look into is medical marijuana because it is a fact that is will make you hungry as well as suppress some of the pain.
Please keep on keeping on, you WILL make it! It's just gonna be the biggest and hardest fight of your life! I hope this helps some how or another. I'm 7 years with a partial matching liver they threw into me Sunday night (Mothers Day because they said I would not make it to Monday morning! Which would have finally been the day my PCP DR had got me the appointment with the liver and gastritis Doctor just a little to late.

Helpful Tips

relief of hemorrhoids
had hemorrhoids for years,tried all the store remedies,nothing worked. when my boys were little we used diaper rash ointment on them(zinc ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website