Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Possible Gallbladder Issues but Normal Tests
    KLynne posted:
    I'm sure there have been hundreds of posts in relation to this very topic, but I feel as if I need to vent. Since Wednesday of last week, I have experienced episodes of severe upper abdominal pain originating at the "v" of my rib cage and immediately to the right. Wednesday night, I could not sleep at all and had to constantly move in an attempt to subdue the pain. Thursday morning, after a visit to my doctor, I was prescribed an equivalent of Prilosec and told to avoid fatty/sugary foods (which is no difficult task for me as I live a rather healthy lifestyle). Over the next several days, I would suffer these "attacks" and writhe in pain; each time I would become obnoxiously queasy and the pain would shoot into my upper back. Saturday evening, I was tempted to go to the emergency room, but was convinced otherwise and told by my boyfriend that "it [was> just gas pains." Here it is Monday, I've had an ultrasound and a CT scan, both of which came back normal. My doctor, of whom I'm quite fond, suggested I take Milk of Magnesium for a week and come back in on November 5. I am NOT fabricating these symptoms, but part of me feels as if they are humoring me because they believe it a subconscious projection that has manifested physically. My pain was/is real.
    txjc29 responded:
    I completely understand your frustration because I am experiencing the exact same issues and my labs and ultrasound were normal as well. I have been referred to a gastroenterologist and shall see what happens. I however did end up going to the hospital and once my test were normal they basically told me that all they are there to do is make sure I am not dying and that my PCP is the one to get answers from since my test did not indicate otherwise. I know how you feel when you know your body and you know that there is something wrong and that it is not normal to feel this pain and symptoms, yet no one is giving you answers. Then you begin wondering if it is all in your head and you are going crazy, until the next attack of pain brings you back into reality that there really is something wrong and you are desperate for answers! Well I noticed that you wrote your post a cpl of weeks ago...has anything changed since then? Have you received any answers? If not, I would def make an appointment to a gastroenterologist if you havent done so by now. A gastro dr is the right dr for these kinds of symptoms and can hopefully figure it out for the both of us! Keep me posted and I will do the same! Good luck!
    Happydays1000 responded:
    ABSOLUTELY NO PRILOSEC!!! It is going to do more harm than good. Believe me - I am still suffering because of it.
    jhewell3 replied to Happydays1000's response:
    Please explain Happydays1000.....
    Jim_Rhoda responded:
    I am recovering from gall blader surgery. Note: If you start throwing up, especially violently, you may have what I had - a gall blader infection from too many gall stones. It is more common in men but if in doubt, get to the ER. My regergitation was so violent, it could have brought on another heart attack.

    Good luck and do not take suggestions from quakes like me!

    Jim H
    rebmevon responded:
    You may want to obtain more specific information about the scans of your gall bladder. Many of these are read incorrectly and you may of passed the stones prior to the test. A more reliable indicator may be the measurement of the width of your common bile duct this will generally be larger than normal if stones were engorged. I would see a gastroenterologist for followup and eat small low fat meals, exercise and watch your weight.
    pennylou responded:
    A number of years ago I had the same problem and when my doctor could no longer help me, I went to the university hospital. I was given more tests and the result was I had functional disorder of the GI tract. It is a function and therefore not visible on any tests. The pain is spasms that you are having. I was given antispasmodic medicine and a probiotic that I take to this day.. I keep away from skins of fruit, and watch what I eat on an empty stomach. There is a website, I believe it is IFFGD that might help you. I was having those pains a couple of times a day at the beginning. Now I have them about three times a year. Go to a good gastro doctor. Good luch.
    KayBay32 replied to pennylou's response:
    What are some foods you eat on an empty stomach?
    pennylou replied to KayBay32's response:
    I can have oatmeal, cereal, a sandwich without pickles, anything gentle.At first, even applesauce on an empty stomach gave me pain. Now, I am still careful with nuts, oranges, anything citrus, too much salsa, etc. IFFGD is an excellent source for information. When I feel the pain just stirring, I take an antispasmodic pill under my tongue and it stops.

    I am doing fine now. It was bad at the beginning until I found a doctor who explained all this to me. They still do not know what causes the pain. They think that some people have a very sensitive gut that most people do not have. Why that happens, who knows.

    Helpful Tips

    Have you tried better toilet posture?
    There is a great new product on the market aimed at improving colon health by correcting the anorectal angle and making elimination easier ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website