Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Sudden (embarrassing) issue
pilgrim89 posted:
A couple of weeks ago or so, I noticed that I started having bad gas in the afternoons and noticeable bloating by the end of the night. I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I am thinking that it may, if possible, be a sudden lactose issue.

Every morning from about nine to ten thirty during work days I slowly drink a cup of coffee (a very dark roast) with about one or two tablespoons of milk and some sugar. Around one or two, I begin to have very bad gas - rotten egg smells and some slight abdominal pain, but nothing severe. I don't really notice this on weekends or at any other time of day, except occasionally in the evenings. However, there is significant, noticeable bloating of my stomach at night. I can see a visible difference from when I go to bed to when I wake up in the morning.

I have purchased lactate/dairy helper pills and take those when I am going to be consuming a lot of dairy since I imagine that's the issue. Could it be anything else? Is this something I should have diagnosed? If I go for a week and eliminate all dairy possible, will that be enough time to see a noticeable difference?

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 123 found this helpful