Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gallbladder related problems with my dad:
WonderingInFL posted:
First time poster on WebMD, however I have a question for any expert or previous symptomatic person out there that may be able to point me in the right direction for a solution. My dad recently (67 years of age) had his gallbladder removed after 6mo of suffering through pain and symptoms because he ignored me telling him that was likely the case and that he should get an ultrasound to confirm.

Long story short, he's been post-op about 1 month now, and he has had all the usual signs of post-op. My serious concern is his diet, and that he continues to eat foods that are either high in fat, pork-based, or fried. He then has bouts of either vomiting or diarrhea, and complains that his condition is getting worse and that his stomach is in a lot of pain.

My family, especially my mom, is at our wits end because he is very stubborn and refuses to listen to us with regard to his diet. He's been to several doctors now, and has even filed his medical papers with the Mayo Clinic, and was turned down. He saw an internist yesterday who was also perplexed and ordered a CAT scan for his stomach to take a closer look (2nd scan done since this all started about 7mo ago).

I know there is a chance that between all these doctor visits, scans, blood tests, etc... that someone isn't looking at the big picture to see if there's any relation between all of the test results, and the symptoms he claims to have.

At the same time, I also know that he has his good days and bad ones, and that his bad days seem to track with his diet. i.e. when he eats properly he doesn't complain, but when he has something he shouldn't he complains that he's not feeling well. This morning he was vomiting again, and my mom found out that he tried to take a couple asprin on an empty stomach.

I can see there is a correlation between his condition and his diet, I know that, but what I don't know is how common this is. My Fiance had the same procedure done and also the same/similar reactions to "bad" foods that my father is having, so I know there's something there. But, there have been several people who have had this surgery and go back to eating completely normally.

I've read that post-op, you have to watch your diet because the liver is working overtime to produce the daily amount of bile that's needed, and because it's not the liver's main function the numbers fluctuate which can also cause problems and irritations.

I would really just like a more solidified answer that can point me in the right direction to tell him what may help best.

Also, he's been consistently losing weight since the surgery. At the time that he started showing symptoms he was about 220lbs (5'6"). By the time he went in for surgery he was about 165lbs... And now he's below 150lbs...

He's had a heart valve procedure done in the past, because of which he takes Coumadin. He's also type C diabetic (though I'm unsure of that now) and takes medications for that as well. He was taking a medication for cholesterol, but his cardiologist told him to stop taking the meds for that because it was lowering his cholesterol levels too much.

Any additional help/information would be more than greatly appreciated. Again, we're at a loss for where to turn next, or maybe we're over-thinking his condition... we just want to help him get healthy again so he can enjoy his life (he's very recently retired from his career and then all this started).

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website