Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Extreme Morning Nausea, Male
Anon_62823 posted:
I am a 28 year-old male with a history of IBS-like symptoms and anxiety symptoms. Lately, almost every morning I've awoken with extreme nausea and general cramp-like pain in the middle of my abdomen. It almost feels like a very severe hunger pang, yet the thought of eating nauseates me further. It generally takes about an hour (sometimes more) before it will pass and I'm usually fine (or at least the pain is milder) for the rest of the day.

I have been taking Zantac 150 off and on for the GERD, although the GERD doesn't give me very severe symptoms (mostly excessive burping, hiccups, and an occasional cough). I've had a couple of bad bouts of simultaneous back and abdominal pain recently, and my GP thinks it is just my hiatal hernia referring pain to my back. However, I though hiatal hernias weren't supposed to cause any symptoms other than GERD in some people?

I've been through a battery of tests over the last 2-3 years:

* upper endoscopy
* colonoscopy
* MRI of the brain
* multiple blood tests (CBC, vitamin levels, TSH, metabolic)
* abdominal ultrasound (gallbladder, liver)
* chest x-rays

All that the tests have found are the hiatal hernia with mild esophageal inflammation (upper endoscopy) and a very small polyp on the gallbladder (abdominal ultrasound - labeled as 'inconsequential' by the radiologist and no follow-up performed). So, the only "definitive" diagnosis I've been given based on these tests and my history is GERD, with possible IBS. My complaints over the years leading to these tests have been generalized abdominal pain, upper left abdominal pain, upper right abdominal pain, lower abdominal pain, changes in stool habits (alternating constipation and diarrhea, greasy-looking stool), persistent coughing, back pain, nausea, occasional unexplained numbness in hands and feet, and tiredness.

In terms of the anxiety, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder several years ago after going to the ER for hyperventilation, dizziness, rapid pulse and nausea. Over the years, I've been on and off Zoloft (not wanting to put a drug I don't fully trust in my body, yet feeling as if I need something to calm my nerves during stressful periods) and have taken Ativan as needed for any major attacks. I am currently not taking any anxiety medication, although I do have a high-demand job that brings a fair amount of stress.

I'm running out of ideas, yet I hate living in this constant pain at such a young age. My doctors seem to be tired of running tests (or don't know what else to test) and I don't really know what else to do other than try going back on Zoloft to see if somehow reducing my stress improves the "brain-gut connection" and eases my abdominal discomfort. My periods of abdominal pain seem to come and go in waves (a week here, a week there), and I'm currently in the middle of another one.

Is anyone else experiencing ANYTHING similar to this, or does anyone have a similar story? I've just given up and accepted the idea that I'm supposed to live this way moving forward, but I'm hoping someone else may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website