Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gall Bladder Removal - indications?
jbones posted:
My previous PCP retired and my new PCP ran several tests and found a 1.5 cm gallstone and recommends that I have my gall bladder removed. What are the symptoms, other than the mere presence of a gallstone, that would indicate a need to remove the gall bladder?

History: I am 70, and in general good health except that my systolic blood pressure has been elevated (from 130 - 170) for about a month, before which it was usually 120. Diastolic pressure remains between 65 - 80. I am at a loss as to this recent condition where my systolic blood pressure rises, even while dozing off or sleeping.

Ten years ago my previous PCP discovered this same gallstone at 1 cm, but, disagreed with the surgeon, at that time, as to having my gall bladder removed. Since I had no symptoms, my previous PCP advised me to decline surgery, but to take note should any symptoms arise. I have enjoyed 10 years of being able to treat myself occasionally to tasty fatty meals, which i understand would be ill-advised were I to have had my gall bladder removed back then.

I still do not have any symptoms, as best i can tell, even now, so, I am meditating to myself as to why I would need to remove my gall bladder at this time. The gallstone has grown from 1cm to 1.5 cm, but, still, I have no symptoms that I know of which would indicate malfunctioning of the gall bladder.

For example, I can eat Pizza, fried eggs, fried potatoes, and other fatty meals and not suffer any ill effects after the meal - it is actually calming and I sleep like a kitten.

If anyone here can respond with a list of symptoms that I might not know about that would indicate gall bladder removal, please advise. My life expectancy, from my parents and grandparents, is probably no more than another 5 years.

Specifically, does a recent rise in systolic blood pressure have anything to do with a 1.5 cm gallstone?

The tests ran by my pcp indicated some enzyme abnormalities which might suggest a liver problem, but, again, I have NO SYMPTOMS. There was also a moderately abnormal thyroid function. The pcp advised that, since the gall stone is very prominent, then the gall bladder should be removed first and then maybe the other abnormal readings will correct themselves. I am not impressed with this logic.

thanks for any advice.

jbones

calgal37 responded:
jbones, what other enzyme abnormalities were found? Upon first impressions, I'd agree with the general reasoning if it's not bothering you, leave it alone, but that would depend on more than just the fact you're not having symptoms.

Symptoms can vary widely. They can include gastritis like feelings, discomfort in the URQ from small to huge levels, vomiting, diarrhea; constipation, pain radiating into the back and up into the right shoulder blade, belching, burping, small to large changes in liver and pancreatic enzyme levels, among other things. There's really no 'standard' symptoms that apply to everyone.

jbones replied to calgal37's response:
I finally got the test results which show the gallstone near the neck of the gall bladder, but, also, show no abnormalities as to gall bladder function. It also indicated a moderate case of "fatty liver".

The lab reports indicate two liver enzymes (SGOT and SGST) as being 3 times normal, but, of all the causes, the only one that for sure applies to me is fatty liver.

The only cause I can relate to for this fatty liver was that I was taking a steroid for about 3 months to treat an enlarged prostate.

I just don't see how removing my gall bladder is going to solve anything, since the gall bladder is functioning as it should.

I am 70, and, I am thinking more and more to just let nature take its course and try to live as healthy a life as I can (diet and exercise).

Taking out my gall bladder at this time seems unnecessary to me as it is not involved at all in the high levels of SGOT and SGST, nor the low blood counts (RBC, Hemaglobin, and Platelets).

I welcome any comments.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website