Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
severe symptoms with acid reflux
Durso posted:
A few months ago I had severe pain that came and went (upper abdomen pain between my ribcage). The pain felt like an inflamation- coming and going for about 5 seconds at a time and got closer together progressively to about 2 minutes apart. It was so bad I was literally bucked over and at one point, vomited. My wife got me to the ER where they gave me a pain relief "cocktail" which didn't help at all, followed by a strong narcotic pain relief which did. They did various tests - CT, Barium Ultrasound, etc etc... all but an indoscopy- and kept me in observation overnight. 12 hours later they diagnosed it as "Acid Reflux" and sent me away with prescription prilosec (and a $2500 bill AFTER insurance- bastards). I am having the same pain today and have taken maximum dosage of prilosec, max dose of tums, drank soy milk (my wife's remedy), and drank 8oz of water with baking soda(my sis-in-law's remedy), still having the pain and just vomited. I'm hesitant to rush to ER to just be told it's acid reflux again... anyone have any suggestions to help with the pain or a similar experience with acid reflux that will ease my mind? (My wife is typing this as I'm in too much pain to do so)... please and thanks.

Durso responded:
P.S. I am a 34 year old male with no major health problems.

calgal37 responded:
Durso, what are you bringing up when you vomit? Have you been on the meds every day and following a GERD-friendly diet since being at the ER? Were you check for the presence of H. pylori during that ER visit? Did you follow-up with your own doc after the ER visit?

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website