Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Upcoming Colonoscopy questions
caligirl4snoopy posted:
I requested from my primary care to have whatever tests needed done because of my HORRIBLE system.Every morning, I wake up and I have to wait for a total of about an hour or a little longer before I can get ready for work. I have to have a RIGHT NOW bowel movement at least 3 tiimes. This has been going on for quite some time. My doc suggested a colonoscopy and then a follow up from with a GI. Well, I am scheduled to check into the hospital on 3/7 at 1:15pm, and I am a bit freaked out. I work where they frown on me taking any time off at all, and I know I can't be at work once I start all the stuff I have to take. How long does the actual procedure take, will they hopefully fully sedate me so I do not go into a panic attack, and since it is scheduled for late afternoon on a Thursday, will I be okay to go to work the next day??? I am glad to be getting this done to find out what is going on, but I wish they could have scheduled it for a Friday which would have made it possible for me to not be at work the next day. Anybody with any info at all, please post...I am a bit on the scared side, and my count down clock is ticking!

sheba_q responded:
You're not likely to be able to work the day before the colonoscopy because of the prep involved (you have to drink stuff that'll give you diarrhea to clear you out) or the day you'll be getting scoped. The following day you might be a little tired but otherwise you should be fine.

Technically I get 'twilight sedation' whenever I'm scoped and every time I'm out pretty much immediately after they give it to me. I can't tell you how long the colonoscopy takes because I'm out when it happens, but I asked one time and they figure from the start of it until you wake up and get ready to leave is around an hour to an hour and a half. Some of that is time you need for the sedation to start to wear off.

They won't let you leave on your own because of the sedation, so you'll have to have someone pick you up from the hospital.

How much do you know about a colonoscopy? There are people on the Crohns and Colitis would who would be able to help you with any more questions you may have.

sheba_q replied to sheba_q's response:
  • Crohns and Colitis board*
  •  
    georgiagail replied to sheba_q's response:
    You'll be very lightly sedated and unaware of what is happening during the procedure which is typically very short.

You'll need someone to drive you home and you'll rest the remainder of the day but can return to work the next day.

Having undergone 6 or 7 of these the prep is far more bother than going through the actual procedure.

Gail

sheba_q replied to georgiagail's response:
    I get to take Pico Salax (now available as Prepopik in the US - but I read it's expensive) for my prep so it's pretty tolerable.

barbarafromtucson responded:
    You will be off work for two days...the prep the day before is the worse of it--plan on spending lots of time in the bathroom. I was completely sedated for both my colonoscopies..in fact...I was in the middle of some dream and was a little upset that I was awakened before the dream finished. The nice thing about a colonoscopy is for the 2-3 days after the procedure, you won't have to worry about the bathroom!

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
    I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website