Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
IBS sufferer...suddenly constipated? Help please.
An_250734 posted:
Hi there,

First time poster here. Hope I'm not breaking any protocol or rules. I've suffered from symptoms of IBS for the majority of my 23 years and was only diagnosed last year. I'm currently on a waiting list for an endoscopy and colonoscopy as my doctor describes my symptoms as "rather severe". (Also have recurring ulcers and B12 deficiency.)

I'm writing because as a person who always has anywhere between 3 to 6 urgent, soft (bordering on liquid) bowel movements a day, I've suddenly become constipated and have been unable to have a bowel movement in 4 days. This has never happened to me. Generally, if I'm going to be constipated, it lasts for maybe 8 hours, and even that is rather rare.

This comes following oral surgery four days ago to remove two wisdom teeth. I was not put under for the procedure, just frozen locally. I'm currently taking amoxicillin (for a jaw infection), Tylenol with codeine #3, Ibuprofen, a daily multivitamin w/iron, a B12 supplement, and occasionally zopiclone when I can't sleep (last two nights). I have been avoiding valerian extract to be safe.

Is there some kind of association between the fact that I had oral surgery and this sudden constipation?

I also write because in the week leading up to my surgery, I noticed some changes in my bowel movements that concerned me somewhat. First I noticed that when I used the washroom, my stool was...how do I describe this...shredded? It was in about 50-100 tiny shreds and it came out like liquid. I was surprised, I'd never seen this before. Then, as the week went on, I went back to having "normal" stools, however I noticed they were flat on two sides. They looked like they'd been pushed through one of those PlayDoh machines (ha!). I was concerned about this because I know that flat stools can occasionally indicate swelling or a blockage in the colon.

Well, now, I can't go, so I'm worried that those abnormal stools really DID indicate some kind of blockage and that something is really wrong.

I am scheduled to see my doctor on Thursday (it's Monday today) and I'm not sure if I should wait to see him and hopefully I will have gone by then or if I should call him and explain my situation. Failing that, should I take something like a laxative? I've been drinking coffee, eating oranges and peaches and all kinds of things that would normally have me running to the washroom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of nervous about this

LaurieBeth responded:
An,
My daughter was diagnosed with colitis 2 years ago, and now she has no symptoms, even without medication for the last year and a half. Whether her healing was miraculaous or a result of dietary changes, I give God the glory. After much prayer and study here are some easy dietary changes we made for digestive health:
#1 Enzymes. Start with the cheapest ones (I buy them from Whole Foods), and the lowest dosage. If you don't feel comfortable taking these, fresh pineapple is loaded with natural enzymes. #2 No high fructose corn syrup. Stay away from most soda pops! Instead, buy retro Pepsi or Whole Foods brand 2-liters which contain sugar and taste identical to the name brands. Buy 100% grape juice and natural maple syrup (this change is the most costly in $). #3 Try to buy all-natural or organic when you can. Change 5 items that you normally buy to all-natural. For me it was processed flavored rice (now I buy Near East brand), potato chips, grapes (only organic!!!), raw chicken, and yogurt (probiotic only) #4 Try making homemade pancakes with organic plain yogurt in place of the milk, with whole wheat white flour (King Arthur) , olive oil, and topped with the aforementioned syrup-this gets us all feeling healthy and regular! #5 Ginger and tumeric are supposed to ease flare-ups. I can't tell if they have made much difference-but can't hurt. Trader Joes has triple ginger cookies with actual ginger chunks. I am pray (literally) for you all, and I hope that you will receive healing as my daughter has.

An_250567 responded:
The narcotic pain reliever may have triggered the bout of constipation. You might try adding a stool softener like colace or miralax. I have IBS-C now after years of IBS-D and I take miralax every evening. Good luck. HTH a little.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website