Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Bowel movements immediately after eating? Have IBD's and Celiac....
shannonlasher posted:
Hello!

I've been getting a little concerned lately because I have been having bowel movements within 10-30 minutes of eating for a few weeks now, with lots of pain. I have Crohn's/Colitis, Celiac, IBS, GERD, ulcers and larynpharyngial reflux, and a lot of food allergies, but I do not believe I am flaring and have been eating according to my allergy-free diet. I usually have at least 10 watery BM's a day on a "normal" day (for me anyway!), but this is not typical for me. I feel like I can't go anywhere that's far from my potty, and the pain is totally rotten. Usually this only happens when I'm having a severe Crohn's/Colitis flare, but I truly do not believe that I am. I've lost 25 pounds in the last month, which I'm guessing is from what's going on. I've also completely lost my appetite for the most part and am nauseous all the time. I'm also waking up during the night for BM's, which usually only goes with a flare, but after 19 years of this, I really don't think it is! I need to get in to see my GI, but my hubby and dad just had surgeries, and they need me right now, so I'm trying to get away without going as long as possible. Thanks for your help!

Shannon

Jaytex responded:
This is the most notable symptom of my IBS, been dealing with it for 27 years....it is worse during flares, but maintains presence even when things are relatively normal. The bigger the meal, the worse it is, but even a tiny snack can trigger a BM some days...

PeterPanMom responded:
Dear Shannon,

My heart goes out to you! It does sound like you're experiencing a flare, which for me is often triggered during times of mental or emotional stress. It sounds like you are going through a good deal of stress due to being the support for BOTH your husband and your father!! That would be enough stress to put me over the edge and into a full-on flare!!

It sounds like you need to take care of yourself. Just like on the airplane - parents are told to put on their OWN facemasks first before assisting their children because if they pass out they'll be NO HELP whatsoever to their families.

So it is for you, too! You won't be any help to your family members if you're totally self-destructing with an untreated flare! YOU need help if you want to be able to help them!

Also, do you have any support network of friends, family, a yoga group, a church family, a therapist, someone that YOU can rely on to help you to make it through this stressful time. We all perform better when we have someone to lean on.

I hope this is some help to you. Please don't be afraid to ask for help and to get the support that you need to help you to survive your own health problems and those of your family members. None of us can do this alone.

Take care and please take your body's signals seriously. Losing 25 pounds in one month is a BIG signal that you need to listen to! Get the medical support and emotional support that you need. The newest research shows that the mind-body connection is much stronger than anyone ever thought it was. Our digestive system is referred to as our secondary nervous system in the medical community because our emotions can totally dominate our digestive health! When a person is stressed and has no outlet for this stress, it often comes out in Crohn's/Colitis flares! I have a sister who had severe Crohn's disease and ended up having her entire large intestine removed and she had to wear the bag for a year before reconstructive surgery that reconnected her small intestine to her colon. She was on extremely strong steroids for over a year that has now given her osteoporosis! So, take your symptoms seriously, because they can get much worse if you don't. Get exercise, do yoga, do meditation, pray, write a gratitude journal, practice tai chi, do SOMETHING to relieve stress.

WebMD website just had a feature on how research has proven exercise to be just as beneficial as anti-depressants! And with NO side-effects!! Exercise produces endorphines that lift our moods and enable us to feel better and function better in life.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Sincerely,
Mary Martin (an EX-colitis patient!)

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website