Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Major stomach issues. suggestions needed! very detailed!
jill_2010 posted:
I am 29 and about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. My doctor just told me to watch my diet and try to increase my fiber. Since the beginning of all of this I had been fine. Only taking Imodium as a very last resort (which has been maybe once or twice since she told me to stay away from it). The IBS for me alternates from constipation to diarrhea, usually one or the other just happening out of the blue. I dont even think what I eat even matters.

On March 23rd, I got the stomach virus, which consisted of throwing up and having diarrhea with everything I ate or drank. That lasted until March 27th (5 days). By the end my system was completely empty. The next day I was eating and drinking normal so I didn't think anything about being dehydrated. A week later I realized I had not had a bowel movement since I had been so sick with the stomach bug. So I started on the Miralax and did a Fleet enema. Then I realized I was possibly compacted somewhere because it was like the enema hit a brick wall and it came right back out, so I figured I would just let things runs its course. A day or two went by and I started hurting in my lower stomach and lower back and I had made the decision to go to the ER. Where I live I had the option of going to 2 different hospitals and I just chose the one where I knew they would work with me on paying my bill, considering I don't have insurance. They took a 3 way xray of my chest and belly. It had come back showing I was completely full but not compacted anywhere. So they had me do another Fleet enema in the hospital. Again the enema hit the same blockage and came right back out but this time was different because the only thing that came out was mucus and blood. I told this to the doctor and she acted like it was totally normal. She then gave me a bottle of magnesium citrate and told me to drink it at home. When I got home I did as the doctor said and I drank the magnesium citrate and laid down for a nap. This was about 4 in the afternoon. Around 11 pm that night my mother ended up waking me up to check my blood pressure because of how tired I was. Blood pressure was normal. I still had not had a bowel movement and she was getting concerned because the magnesium citrate was still in my system just sitting there. Then we made the decision to go to the other hospital's ER. There I got better treatment. The doctor did a magnesium citrate mixture enema and gave me a bag of fluids due to the fact I was dehydrated. I felt so much better after the 2nd trip to the ER. He also gave me a dose of Lactulose to take when I got home and a prescription for it. Then next day I got it filled and I was having results finally. But it was not soft stools it was like anything I ate or drank was going straight thru me and getting liquified coming out. I called the ER the next day and they told me to stop taking the Lactulose. The last dose I had taken of the Lactulose was Saturday the 6th at 2 pm. I still have not had any type of bowel movement since I stopped taking the Lactulose. I took a dose of the Lactulose at 4 pm today hoping I would have a bowel movement but so far nothing. Just a bunch of gas bubbles and gurgling.

Now I am wondering if there is something more severe going on than IBS, like maybe something wrong with my colon or gallbladder. I can not afford to go see a gastroenterologist. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor on the 15th (which is the soonest she could get me in). Is there any testing I should suggest? Or a specific organ I should have her check? Would a colonoscopy be any help in helping pin point whats wrong? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated? Im kind of lost here.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website