Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Immediate rather violent bowel/gas movements after eating certain foods(mainly Chinese)
BigDaddy24560 posted:
I have almost a violent gaseous bowel reaction after eating Chinese food, and have a less severe but similar reaction to most other foods. I am not losing weight, but instead gaining weight. I wake up with violent gaseous bowel movements on a daily basis. I am a bigger guy, and other than being overweight all my vitals and cholesterol is perfect.

Some have said worms...but I am not losing weight

Some have said IBS...but I am not losing weight

Some have said CD...but I am not losing weight and I eat tons of grain with less severe reactions.

Can anyone help?

calgal37 responded:
Not sure it's the answer, but consider having some food intolerance testing done. Problems with severe gas, stomach discomfort, weight gain, brain fog and several other issues can result from sensitivity to foods, and that specific food substance can be difficult in some cases to pin down.

By CD, did you mean celiac disease? If so, please know that losing weight with celiac or gluten sensitivity issues isn't a given. Many with those problems end up gaining weight, and no one knows why. But if your problems is gluten, it's going to 'trash' your system rather badly and you'll end up having a hard time trying to sort out for yourself if you are intolerant to one food or many. If you do want to rule a food group in or out, take out the offending substance entirely for at least 3-4 weeks and see what happens. Then add it back. Anything less typically won't work.

The 4 food groups that cause the most problems seem to be gluten, dairy, eggs and soy.

Also keep in mind you could have eaten foods all your life with no problems, and sensitivities can seem to 'suddenly' start. It's not uncommon.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website